Trying to disable network adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu

Trying to disable network adapter

Post by ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ »

Hello,

I'm in the process of disabling the network adapters on all of our virtual machines and I would like to create a script that does this for me. We are a Mac environment with Windows and Linux VMs. So far I have:

for i in `VboxManage list vms`
do
VboxManage modifyvm $i --nic1 none
done

It works in that it turns off the network adapters on all VMs, however the output in Terminal yields a bunch of errors:

VBoxManage: error: Could not find a registered machine named '"Ubuntu'
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBox, interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]).raw(), machine.asOutParam())" at line 464 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp
VBoxManage: error: Could not find a registered machine named '10.10"'

I was wondering if there were a better, less error-filled way of doing this.

Thanks!
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Trying to disable network adapter

Post by Martin »

Looks like you have VMs with blanks in the name. Try enclosing the name parameter with " ".
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Trying to disable network adapter

Post by socratis »

Actually, it's not just the spaces in the name. If you do a "VBoxManage list vms" you'll get both the name and the UUID in a single line (which without proper parsing is going to lead to errors). Like this example:
Machine:~ username$ VBoxManage list vms
"_LiveCDs" {00e5351f-a334-40a8-a485-aa0d1b92de36}
"Doudou Linux" {114216de-bade-4218-b087-d745325533dc}
You'll need to parse the output in order to get the names just right. Below is the bash script that I use. Copy-paste it, save it in a bash script, like "ANYTHING.sh", change it so that it's executable (chmod +x ANYTHING.sh) and execute it in Terminal.
IFS=$'\t\n'; \
for i in `VBoxManage list vms | cut -d'"' -f2`; \
  do VBoxManage modifyvm "$i" <YourModificationHere>; \
done
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.