Not able to recognize USB portable disk

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Not able to recognize USB portable disk

Post by loukingjr »

For security reasons, what Don mentioned…
... but IMHO you would be well advised not to share the root folder on any drive. Share an actual folder.
Is most likely true. Although it does escape me how much harder it is to break out of a folder on a volume than the volume itself. Then again, I know little about hacking. Personally, my concerns about security has been how so many businesses, organizations, health care providers, govt. agencies, etc. have been hacked and the personal info of millions have been compromised. Even if we make our personal PC impenetrable we can't stop that situation.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It's more about good management of the risk, rather than increased risk. When you have a designated folder you know that anything in that folder is suspect.

And it should be impossible to break out of a shared folder: it's a network software API, not a real disk, so everything the client does has to be explicitly enabled by that API.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I understand. :)

For me, seeing i am the only one with access to any of my PCs. It's just more convenient. Just for an example, I have 3 External HDDs connected to the iMac I use the most. One is strictly for backups so there is no reason to share that one with a guest. The others contain photos, music, videos, artwork, wallpapers, fonts etc. so It's just easier for me to point a guest to the entire drive rather than creating a number of shared folders.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Max37

Post by Max37 »

Really thanks for all of the informations. It gives me more confidence on using VB instead of other similar emulators.