FATAL: Could not read a bootable medium !! System Haulted

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Ruthran

FATAL: Could not read a bootable medium !! System Haulted

Post by Ruthran »

Hi all,

I am newbie trying to install Win 7 on my mac book air yosemite OS X 10.10.1. My lap doesn't have a CD drive, so i have copied the image of my desktop PC and i am trying to install it. But the Image is not getting recognized, even after i have selected and added under "Storage". I tried variable ways like creating a bootable USB, creating live CD/DVD ( in USB ) but nothing works. It fails with "FATAL: Could not read a bootable medium !! System Haulted"

Even if i am trying to use a bootcamp manager, i cannot install it as it says "Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation." Can someone help me on this please ?

:cry: :cry:

Thanks in advance !!

Regards,
Rudy
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: FATAL: Could not read a bootable medium !! System Haulte

Post by mpack »

You can only "Install" something if it comes with an install program. a disk image doesn't. Nor can you treat a hard disk image as if it was a CD image: the filesystem is entirely wrong.

What image format did you use?

I also hope you're aware that a PC Win7 image transferred to a VM (or bootcamp) will detect a lot of "hardware" changes and will need to be reactivated. Doing so will kill the activation of the PC you imaged.

A better way to fix your problem would be to buy a new Win7 license for your Macbook, use your PC to make an image of the Win7 setup DVD - this will create a proper .iso image. You can then use the ISO on your Macbook to install the OS in the VM.
Ruthran

Post by Ruthran »

mpack, thanks a lot for your response. I did make an image as .iso format file so that VBox can find it out. but something seems wrong that it won't work. But last night i tried the same with another computer it does the installation, though i abort it and i want to install on my VM. Do you know how could that be possible ?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

What mpack was asking is what did you use to image your Windows machine?
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.