Usage of internal drive for machines on external drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
alan123

Usage of internal drive for machines on external drive

Post by alan123 »

I'm running a windows 7 virtual machine on my external disk. How does this configuration affects my internal drive usage on my Mac OS X?
... what I mean:
Does each data read in the external drive is also read in the internal drive in order to let Virtual Box working?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Usage of internal drive for machines on external drive

Post by loukingjr »

If I understand your question there is nothing to read on the internal drive if the guest is installed on an external drive.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

alan123 wrote:Does each data read in the external drive is also read in the internal drive in order to let Virtual Box working?
I suspect you have some strange notion of weird magic that VirtualBox performs in order to work. In fact VDI files are ordinary host files, accessed using normal host file I/O function calls, and there is nothing mysterious or unusual about them at all - except that they tend to be on the large side.
alan123

Post by alan123 »

Hi, thanks for reply.
I just asked because I noticed a considerable increase of memory usage in the activity monitor. In that moment I was only using virtualbox, I installed Visual studio in the virtual machine but I noticed that Data Read was about 20gb and Data Write was 8gb. I was not sure about the behavior of virtualbox.