Join Mac OS X Host to NAT Network?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
dwaite

Join Mac OS X Host to NAT Network?

Post by dwaite »

I was wondering if it would be possible for my Mac to get an interface on the NAT Network I set up. This would allow it to see all the guest machines on that network, the guest machines could still NAT out to the internet, and the physical network adapter would just have a higher priority for the host than the NAT'd interface.

<original message also contained>
I have been having difficulty with having a guest that can both connect to the internet, and where my host machine will be able to connect to it.

Unfortunately, Bridged mode does not work on all networks (I assume due to 802.1x), and the virtualized OS does not make setting up multiple adapters (NAT plus Host-Only) easy.
Last edited by dwaite on 11. May 2015, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Join Mac OS X Host to NAT Network?

Post by socratis »

In order to better understand the problem you need to submit some more information. Please read the following: Minimum information needed for assistance.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dwaite

Post by dwaite »

I'm not really reporting an issue, I'm asking if something is possible/supported. I can provide more information if joining the virtual box nat network is only partially supported.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

dwaite wrote:virtualized OS does not make setting up multiple adapters (NAT plus Host-Only) easy.
That's what I wanted to know most of all. What kind of client does not let you install two network cards? One with NAT and the other with Host-Only?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dwaite

Post by dwaite »

The linux guest OS in this case is a pre-1.0 alpha distribution, using a non-traditional init system.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Again, you're short on the details. If you don't provide more information, I don't see how someone would be correct in guessing the details of your problem.
dwaite

Post by dwaite »

Are saying that yes, it is possible to join a mac os x host to the virtual box nat network, and that it should have happened automatically?

Otherwise, I don't understand what problem others would be trying to diagnose.
dwaite

Post by dwaite »

Apologies socratis, I probably came off a bit snappy in my original responses. I edited the original post to make it more clear that I am specifically asking about whether a feature is present, rather than indicating that I was searching/proposing solutions to a problem I am having.