Internet connectivity

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
SeWhite

Internet connectivity

Post by SeWhite »

I'm trying out VirtualBox on OS X 10.4. I've installed Ubuntu 7.04 in one virtual machine and Windows XP SP2 in another. Neither one can connect to the Internet. The connection is via a LAN and doesn't require any proxy setting. I've never had problems with virtual machines in Parallels or VMWare connecting to the Internet. I'm using VIrtualBox 1.6.

I accepted the default settings for network properties in Virtual Box. The Ubuntu machine can at least see other computers on the local network but the Windows computer can't even do that. Both machines have had the guest additions installed.

Where do I go from here?
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

You enabled at least one network adapter in "Settings->Network" and attached NAT to it?
And the virtual machines are configured to get their IP adress via DHCP?

If your host can connect to the internet and there isn't any filtering programm installed on your host and the things above are checked, everything should work fine.

You could try to find out whether your guest system got an IP via DHCP.
SeWhite

Post by SeWhite »

m@riposa wrote:You enabled at least one network adapter in "Settings->Network" and attached NAT to it?
And the virtual machines are configured to get their IP adress via DHCP?

If your host can connect to the internet and there isn't any filtering programm installed on your host and the things above are checked, everything should work fine.

You could try to find out whether your guest system got an IP via DHCP.
Yes, a network adapter is enabled. The guest system gets an IP number of 10.0.2.15, the default gateway is 10.0.2.2, as is the DHCP server and the DNS server is 10.0.2.3.

It looks like the problem is the DNS service. My virtual machines can bring up Google and Yahoo when I enter the IP number, but typing the URL (www.google.com or www.yahoo.com) or clicking on a link brings up the "can't find the server" error message.
SeWhite

An Airport problem?

Post by SeWhite »

One more thing -- I discovered the virtual machines can connect to the Internet when I connect the MacBook to the network with an ethernet cable. It is when I use the wireless connection that I am having the problem with the virtual machines.