Mac OS 10.5.8 guest on Mac OS 10.10.2 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Mac OS 10.5.8 guest on Mac OS 10.10.2 host

Post by loukingjr »

This is a long shot. I'm going to try to run the 10.5 installer from 10.6 and try and install it to a second partition.

Assuming I live long enough for Google Drive to sync. lol
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

rpmurray wrote:
loukingjr wrote:I installed Snow Leopard without a problem in VB 5.0 Beta 2 but for some reason I can't get Leopard to install. I'm going to try something and see if it works. Later.
OH! :o Does this mean that there's a fix for the issue I reported with versions of VB more recent than 4.3.6 not being able to run Leopard (OS X 10.5.x) as a guest?
see my last post. :)
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

loukingjr wrote:see my last post. :)
My guess is that it may install, but it will blow when you try to boot from it. If that happens, try to remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from the 10.5 guest.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Well that was an exercise in futility. The 10.5 installer won't boot from inside 10.6 and it won't boot when used to create a guest. Perhaps the CPUID info is wrong. It's too much trouble for me seeing I didn't want a 10.5 or a 10.6 guest. :lol:
rpmurray
Volunteer

Post by rpmurray »

loukingjr wrote:Perhaps the CPUID info is wrong.
No. This started in 4.3.8, which was when the devs started improving the emulation of certain MSR registers. My guess is that something in the changes cause the installer to kernel panic but I haven't been able to figure out what. I'd like to try modifying some of the MSRs, but I'm not quite sure how to do that or which ones to try and what would be valid values. So right now I'm stuck on VB 4.3.6 if I want to run OS X guests earlier than 10.6.

It would be nice if I could find a tool that would display the MSRs. Then I could run it in a guest on pre-4.3.8 VB and then do the same with a post-4.3.8 VB to see what MSRs have changed; so I could point the developers at a probable cause.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Good luck with your endeavors. Personally i need OSX guests like I need a hole in the head. :D I have 5 Macs here including one old enough to run 10.5.8 but I can't think of any reason I would want to do that.

Lou
mark.wyllie

Post by mark.wyllie »

Hi rpmurray

Unlike Lou, I am still desperately trying to get a 10.5.8. guest running on VB 4.3.6. Although I ran the VBoxManage command in Terminal as follows:

VBoxManage modifyvm "Mac OS 10.5.8" --cpuidset 00000001 000006fb 00000800 80000209 078bfbff

I’m still getting exactly the same error as shown at the top of this thread (see Shell Window.jpg). I’m told the ISO used in this instance was made from an original 10.5.1 install disc although I am still trying to source original Max OS 10.5.x install discs (Apple no longer supply these).

Are my settings for the VM correct? Log file also attached. Any further advice would be very much appreciated.
VB 4.3.6. Settings.jpg
VB 4.3.6. Settings.jpg (118.29 KiB) Viewed 4198 times
Attachments
VBox.log
(92.02 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

It's probably not going to fix your problem but, you nee to bump up the video memory. My 10.6.8 guest is set to 128MB.
mark.wyllie

Post by mark.wyllie »

Thanks for hanging on in there Lou but, as you suspected, increasing the video memory has not yet solved the issue :?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

no problem. not to be a gloomy gus but it's possible there is another check besides the CPU ID, say for a GPU that 10.5.8 can't pass.
mark.wyllie

Post by mark.wyllie »

In that case, do you think there is anything that can be gleaned / copied (CPU ID, GPU, etc) from the native installation on my MacBook Pro machine ?
about_this_mac.jpg
about_this_mac.jpg (29.48 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Not that I'm aware of. And rpmurray and socratis have done much more research in trying to get various versions of OSX running on various Macs than i have would have shared anything they thought would help.

One thing I can tell you is, setting the CPUID doesn't seem to help when trying to install 10.5.8 on my iMac. The last line in the console when the bootup fails for me is…

Model: iMac 13,2 (VirtualBox)

Which to me means it "knows" I'm not on the Mac with the CPUID I set.
mark.wyllie

Post by mark.wyllie »

Eureka :D You guys rock! Finally I’ve created a 10.5.1. guest thanks to you. FYI, after sourcing a reliable OS X Leopard install ISO I had to run the VBoxManage command a couple of times both pre and post my first launch of the install ISO. After that all good. Next task to step through the upgrades to 10.5.8. Thank you very much indeed for all your expertise and support.
ComicsNights

Post by ComicsNights »

Hello I have backup of leopard 10.5 on single layer dvd and I'm going to follow your instructions I hope all goes well!
rpmurray
Volunteer

Post by rpmurray »

loukingjr wrote:One thing I can tell you is, setting the CPUID doesn't seem to help when trying to install 10.5.8 on my iMac. The last line in the console when the bootup fails for me is…

Model: iMac 13,2 (VirtualBox)

Which to me means it "knows" I'm not on the Mac with the CPUID I set.
This is because, by default, VirtualBox will send the model ID of the host Mac to the VM (iMac13,2 will only run OS X 10.8.2 and above). For versions of OS X earlier then 10.7.x (Lion) you need to have both a supported CPUID and a supported Model ID. If the OS X guest you're trying to install can run natively on your Mac then neither of these is a problem because VirtualBox will pass through the host CPUID and Model ID.

If you're on newer hardware that doesn't support the version of OS X then you need to give it both the CPUID and the Model ID. The CPUID for the guest is changed using the command already given. The Model ID is changed by using the following command:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata "Leopard" VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct "Macmini1,1"
Change Leopard in the above command to be the name you gave your VM. You'll need to use a supported Model ID, although the Macmini1,1 above should let you install 10.4.x (Intel version only) and 10.5.x
Last edited by rpmurray on 28. Apr 2015, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.