screen cutoff

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
partialpixel

screen cutoff

Post by partialpixel »

Hi,
I'm running VirtualBox on Yosemite. I've installed the most recent Ubuntu64 image. the screen pops up on my desktop as a small square, and I can't access most of the software interface outside of this square. I can't scroll to see more, it just cuts off at the screen resolution. If I switch modes (home+c), it allows me to make the screen bigger, but everything just gets bigger, the resolution doesn't change. I went into system settings, and the only option I have for resolution is 640x480. I also tried adding a second display, thinking I could have the addition info display on the second display, but that doesn't seem to work. I saw a tutorial for adding Guest Additions, but I don't know what Guest Additions is, or where to find it.
the tutorial mentions going to the devices menu? but I don't know what that is referring to. I'm also not logged in to Ubuntu on the VM as a guest. I've seen a lot of issues about the screen size in guest mode, but I'm not in guest mode as far as I can tell? What should I do? I can also upload a screenshot if it's of use.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: screen cutoff

Post by loukingjr »

OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.