Full screen for Guest OS in VBox on Mac OSX [SOLVED]

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Arijitslg1

Full screen for Guest OS in VBox on Mac OSX [SOLVED]

Post by Arijitslg1 »

I have installed the latest VirtualBox on Macbook Air 13" and configured with Win7 32bit as the guest OS but when I try to switch to Full Screen, I can only see half of the guest OS. When I go to System Preferences > Display in Mac OSX x10.9, I see only two options "Best for display" and "Scaled mode". I dont have any other options to change the resolution. Can you please suggest how I can get the Full screen mode for the guest OS?

Btw, I have another Macbook Pro 15" Mid-2012 edition which has many resolution options under System Preferences > Display so I am able to see the Full screen for the guest OS there but not in the Macbook Air. Please suggest.
Last edited by Arijitslg1 on 8. Apr 2015, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Full screen for Guest OS in VBox on Mac OSX

Post by loukingjr »

You need to install the guest additions in your Windows 7 guest.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Arijitslg1

Post by Arijitslg1 »

How do I install the guest additions? Can you guide me the path for it? Is there any command line for that in Windows as well as Linux/Debian?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

You need to read the user manual.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

Arijitslg1

Post by Arijitslg1 »

Thanks. It resolves the issues on Mac OSX host OS in Macbook Pro 15" and Windows OS host OS. I will check it on a Macbook Air 13" and let you know.
Arijitslg1

Post by Arijitslg1 »

Another question I have is why does the VirtualBox doesnt reboot or shut down properly with any of the Linux guest OS. I tried with Ubuntu and it says something "ModemManager is shut down" and in the next line "nm-dispatcher.action: Disconnected from the system bus, exiting." then next line ""Unmounting temporary filesystems..." again next line "Deactivating swap" and finally, it says "Stopping early crypto disks...". It doesnt have anything after that. So finally I had restart the VBox as the screen was stuck there. It happened for all the reboots or shut down that I tried. The same issue occurred while I tried with Linux Mint 17.1.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please do not mix different issues in the same topic. If you managed to resolve the full screen issue, the best thing to do is to edit your first post and add "[SOLVED]...". Start a new thread for your Linux issues.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.