second screen fails to load

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
chapinero

second screen fails to load

Post by chapinero »

Hello,

I have a win 8.1 machine running on OS X Mavericks, originally t ran with 2 screen for the host os but since last week when I start the machine it just loads one screen. The display settings clearly state that the monitor count is 2. The video memery is set to 128 Mb and the 2d Video acceleration is enabled.

any clue about this

thanks
ancientfrog

Re: second screen fails to load

Post by ancientfrog »

Running into same issue with similar setup (I'm running Yosemite vs. Mavericks) starting around same time. Multiple monitor support for Guest OS doesn't appear to be working on Mac OS host now. Used to work with out issue.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Claude

Post by Claude »

Same issue; I start the VM, which is setup for 2 displays, but only 1 window pops up or opens.

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 host and Win 7 Guest. All 64 bits. I actually have 2 identical setups (except one is a desktop while the other is a laptop). On the desktop I have no issue but on the laptop, after a while, I can not get the 2nd display.

VirtualBox is 4.3.30

In the guest (Win), I can see that the 2nd display is shown but settings are grayed out; this looks like the driver is loaded for the 2nd display but somehow VirtualBox tells Windows that the 2nd monitor is off, which is consistent with the fact that there is not a 2nd window opened.

Log file attached.
Attachments
WindowsOffice-2015-07-29-09-57-23.log
(114.7 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Claude wrote:Same issue; I start the VM, which is setup for 2 displays, but only 1 window pops up or opens.
Claude, you posted in the Mac OSX Hosts section which apparently you don't have.
Claude

Post by Claude »

This does not appears to be a host OS specific issue; opening a 2nd widow should not be specific, unless there is a kernel driver issue. I wanted to avoid duplication. should I repost to the other section? It is possible/better to simply move or merge the same thread into different sections?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

well, the only problem is VirtualBox versions aren't identical for different hosts and what may cause an issue for OSX hosts may be different on yours. I guess you can see what kind of answers you get here.
Claude

Post by Claude »

Ok, will create another posting.