VBox-4.3.26-98988: Run-time error '713'

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mr.why

VBox-4.3.26-98988: Run-time error '713'

Post by mr.why »

Hi all!,
I've just downloaded the latest VBox available version but I'm getting the same error while running an old program ("Persorg.exe" in Computer360 by Insight SW&Web Factory) which runs under WindowsME.
This program runs ok on a PC under (real) WinXP but when I try to run it in VirtualBox (either on a MacBook or on a Linux PC) I get a very strange behaviour:
The program (which governs an unknown database) has two main functions, one to update existing records and another to query the underlying table.
Well, launching it under a virtual Windows XP the query function works well whereas the update function does not show any record on the screen, although they are there as I can see from the rec. numbers changing.
Using the same program under a virtual Windows7, the first function is all right, whereas the second one throws the error "Run-time-error '713' Application -defined or object defined error."

Do you think that the error might be connected in any way with Virtual Box itself or does it come from the single Windows program running under VB?

Thanks for your attention. Regards,
Ennio
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VBox-4.3.26-98988: Run-time error '713'

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid that it's impossible to answer that question. It could be that the application doesn't like running in a VBox VM, or it could mean that the application doesn't like running on something more modern than Windows ME. Only the people who wrote the software could answer your question.

Do you know anything about the module that's crashing? E.g. is it Windows or DOS? Is it a 16bit or 32bit app? What's the copyright date on it?
mr.why

Post by mr.why »

Thank you for your quick reply, mpak.
The application was distribted by an Italian Newpaper in September 2000 together with a "Computer 360" serial publication. The copyright belongs to "Insight Srl", an Italian company (I have found an e-mail address but I fear it is too old to be still valid...anyway I'll try it).

As the application was supposed to work on Windows Millennium Edition I think it was 32bit and the module involved is Windows, not DOS. The files it works upon are .mdb files, what should mean it operates a sort of 'MS Access database' . [AAMOF I recovered he original .mdb file as a .csv file (using Linux mdb-tools) and created a new database with Openoffice Base. I did all that for an old friend of mine who wanted to get rid of the old, huge PC on which the application is running. However, he is so accustomed to this application that I'm trying to make it work on a newer Mac laptop under Virtual Box.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

You might want to try PlayOnMac as well. PlayOnMac
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mr.why

Post by mr.why »

Thank you loukingjr.
I tried PlayOnMac with no luck: the application stops at the logo!
Regards.
BTW, the email address of the application makers is no longer valid so it seems I have no chance to overcome the problem...
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

yw. unfortunately not everything will run in a VM. you did say the program does run on a physical machine running XP. as a last ditch effort you could try to image that machine using Disk2VHD. Perhaps there was a software key installed on that machine that isn't being installed now. hard to tell what copy protection may have been used then.

you know what they say, "out with the old, in with the new.".
mr.why

Post by mr.why »

>[...] as a last ditch effort you could try to image that machine using Disk2VHD. <
Wow! this is a great suggestion and I'll try it as soon as I manage to repair my M$ laptop that right now cannot be powered up.

> Perhaps there was a software key installed on that machine that isn't being installed now. hard to tell what copy protection may have been used then.<

What I find strange is the error described; but this, of course, depends on my ignorance about how things work in a VBox. I thought the original OS would behave the same way as it does on he physical machine...

[OT] I found also strange that soon after installing the W$ OS (either Win7 or XP) in VBox they were connected to my h.net wifi automagically, although the net requires a key to be accessed!

> you know what they say, "out with the old, in with the new.".<
Yes but in a different contest and language ;)

Thanks again.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

It would be nice if virtual machines were identical to a physical machine. They just aren't for a number of reasons. They do run most software but someone will always find something that doesn't. Especially games.