Moving virtual machines xml between MacOSX laptops

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
oube

Moving virtual machines xml between MacOSX laptops

Post by oube »

If not mistaken, the location of the vmdk or vdi and each respective network and storage configuration are stored in XML file.

Can this XML file be moved from one laptop to another, and kept the exact settings between both? If so, where can I find this XML file?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Moving virtual machines xml between MacOSX laptops

Post by mpack »

oube

Post by oube »

mpack wrote:Howto: Move a VM.
The question is XML, not the VM itself. If copying that VM or cloning, that's simple, but VM does not carry over the location information and some other info.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

oube wrote:VM does not carry over the location information and some other info.
??? Could you explain that in a little more detail? "Some other info" is not very helpful. Oh, and by the way, XML is a really old way of doing things in VirtualBox. Are you absolutely certain that we're talking about an XML file?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

oube wrote:If not mistaken, the location of the vmdk or vdi and each respective network and storage configuration are stored in XML file.
Yes they are, but the xml file has an extension ".vbox" and the FAQ I linked you to applies. And yes, media location info is carried over, along with everything else in the VM.

If you really have an old XML (with a ".xml" extension) then you are indeed mistaken and media information is not stored there. If you are talking about a current VirtualBox.xml then again you are mistaken, since media info is not stored there, and in any case that xml has nothing to do with any VM.

Perhaps you should set aside your preconceptions and just follow the FAQ.