Horizontal Scrolling fix

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Horizontal Scrolling fix

Post by mpack »

loukingjr wrote:The Apple drivers in particular were written to allow Apple devices to work correctly in Windows running in Bootcamp. In other words to make Windows think they were actually Windows devices. Whether that would work in a Windows guest I'm not sure and I haven't checked. The OP seems to think installing them does work then the GAs breaks them.
Well, given the above discussion, I'd assume that these Apple drivers replace the native Windows mouse drivers, and allow Apple-specific input signals to be translated into the nearest equivalents that a typical Windows app would understand. However, since the Apple input device isn't actually connected to the VM I'd struggle to see how installing Apple drivers will help. However I'm not a Mac user, so perhaps the OS X build of VBox is doing something unexpected that allows the Apple driver to work.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Here is what I know.

While there is no item called scroll/ing there are mouse events. These events are sent to the guest via a filter that the guest OS needs to interpret to various events on the guest. This seems to be where the problem happens. The filter ( consisting as a host-guest function ) does not appear to send the right event to the guest and therefore it is not working properly in Windows. It does work properly in Linux and H-scroll works fine. I know this used to work in a Windows guest but I have not tested for it in so long I can't tell where it broke.

Now since the Windows guest Horz. scroll works without the guest additions I can eliminate the host code from being the issue as well as the guest OS which did work but does not now with the guest additions installed.

As for the guest OS not controlling the Horz. scroll I believe it does. If it did not there would be no need for the section in the mouse control menu where it can be enabled and the amount of lines/characters can be defined. At least for Windows =>7 and maybe Vista.

So call it what you will but the issue ( IMHO ) is with the guest additions somehow and will only work properly when fixed. And here is the real issue. Horz. scroll is a convenience and not a necessity making this low on the DEVs list to fix.

Finally to address the OPs "fix". This, if it works for you is a work-around and can not be supported. If it works great, but if and when you have issues we will not be able to assist and also keep in mind that when fixed you will have issues. Also when ever the GAs are updated you will probably need to re-install your patch file.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

@mpack, I have my doubts as well. At first I thought the OP was saying without adding the Apple drivers or the GAs Apple devices worked correct in a Windows guest which made no sense. Then I thought maybe he meant Apple devices worked after installing the Bootcamp drivers but broke after installing the GAs which made at least a little sense since some kinds of drivers will work in guests. Still it sounded "fishy" which is another reason I didn't check.

Over the years I have learned that if someone says something works it often doesn't, and if they say it doesn't it usually does for me. I spend a fair amount of time downloading OSes to test something a user says doesn't work and of course it does 99.9% of the time.

I currently have OSX boxes, 1 Linux box and I have a Windows box coming tomorrow mostly so I can test Windows host issues.

I think I will try installing the Apple drivers in one of my Windows guests later today to see what happens but I don't expect them to work actually. At least when I have to tell someone "it doesn't/won't work", I can say I've tried it.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Well here is what I found out. In Windows 7 without the GAs installed, horizontal scrolling works with both the Apple Mouse and the Apple Magic Mouse. With the GAs installed, horizontal scrolling doesn't work with either.

p.s. try as I might, I couldn't get the Apple drivers to install at all. :P

Horizontal scrolling does work in Linux guests with the Apple mice and the GAs installed.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

ami289 - thank you for the thorough investigation! It is possible to enable more detailed information in the guest log on how the guest is using the PS/2 device by enabling "dev_kbd.e.f" logging (e.g. "export VBOX_RELEASE_LOG=+dev_kbd.e.f"<1>). Full details of all PS/2 mouse data sent to the guest in addition to that can be obtained using "dev_kbd.e.l3.f". It would be interesting to see if there are any differences. I also wonder whether the guest uses a different device (the USB tablet?) for some reason under some circumstances. USB tablet logging is "dev_usb_mouse.e.l3.f". The whole lot can be had using "+dev_kbd.e.l3.f+dev_usb_mouse.e.l3.f".

<1> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VBoxLogging
cheapsheep

Post by cheapsheep »

Just confirming OP's solution works with my Windows 7 host and Windows 7 guest setup with the Logitech M560 mouse as well. I selected the Logitech HID-compliant Cordless mouse as the driver. Horizontal scroll works perfectly in the guest after that.