VBox and LittleSnitch - Rules?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
niroola

VBox and LittleSnitch - Rules?

Post by niroola »

Hi Folks,

My Issue:
Is anyone using VirtualBox with Little Snitch (LS) or any other similar 3rd party firewall app? Virtualbox is being blocked by LS but I cannot figure out which process to allow through. So far I have rules allowing the following through:

VitrualBox
VitrualBox VM
VBoxSVC
VBoxXPCOMIPCD

I know LS is blocking because I have no problems getting through when I disable it.

My Config:
OS X 10.5.2 on a MBA
Little Snitch 2.0.2
WinXP Lite SP2

Thoughts:
Let me add some praise here as this is my first post. VBox is great utility which is almost ready to replace Bootcamp for what I use it for. Thanks to the VirtualBox team (and now Sun) for such a great product. I have been lucky to have a relatively easy install and experience with it.[/b]
fjdouse

Post by fjdouse »

Seems we are both first time posters. :lol:

First I agree, I discovered VirtualBox only yesterday and the 'other' VM solutions I used were promptly trashed! So yeah, nice one Sun etc. for a great tool.

As a fellow LS user, I've only had one LS popup and that was for VirtualBoxVM itself. So I only have one rule - to allow VirtualBoxVM any connection permanently. I've not set rules for the other related processes and all my Guest OS's connect to the net fine. Hope this helps.

:wink:
Terry McDanel

Re: VBox and LittleSnitch - Rules?

Post by Terry McDanel »

Wow. This problem has been going on since 2008. I am posting in 2015.

I am running ATLAS@home a volunteer distributed computing project. It requires Virtual Box. Little Snitch is apparently blocking "Vboxheadless", even tho i have 2 rules allowing incoming and outgoing to any address. When i try to delete the rules, i am told the outgoing is global and cannot be deleted without changing standard settings in Little Snitch.

Has a solution been found?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Perhaps you need to ask LS what the issue is.
Terry McDanel

Post by Terry McDanel »

Perryg wrote:Perhaps you need to ask LS what the issue is.

Yeh, i did here.
i did here:
forums.obdev.at/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9834

But Google returned this thread as the only hit related to both Vbox and LS.