Cannot insert Guest Addition CD Image

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
tjaldur

Cannot insert Guest Addition CD Image

Post by tjaldur »

I am trying to set up file sharing on Virtual Box on my mac. When I chose "Insert Guest Addition CD Image", I get the following errors:

Unable to insert the virtual optical disk
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
into the machine <machine name>

Would you like to try to force insertion of this disk?

Could not mount the media/drive
'/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VboxGuestAdditions.iso'
(VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED)."

What to do?
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: Cannot insert Guest Addition CD Image

Post by noteirak »

Remove whatever ISO is already mounted in the VM settings. Might help to also release the disk usage in the guest.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
freshbaxter

Post by freshbaxter »

I actually have the same issue as tjaldur, and I just tried what you suggested. If I remove the mounted "VBoxGuestAddition.iso", I will not able to insert any guest addition CD image after I start the engine.

I actually did successfully installed the guest addition before, but the "auto-resize guest display" greyed out today, so I'm trying to reinstall the guest addition. Should I uninstall the old one first? How do I uninstall it?

(Host system : Win8 64bit, Guest: Ubuntu 64bit)
Attachments
Logs.zip
log files
(105.67 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Code: Select all

00:00:19.197677 ERROR [COM]: aRC=E_FAIL (0x80004005) aIID={8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6} aComponent={Console} aText={Could not mount the media/drive 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED)},
You need to eject what ever is using the virtual drive first then insert the additions. After that you need to install via terminal. See chapter 4 in your user manual.
tacorama

Post by tacorama »

I am trying to install the guest additions for my openSUSE 13.2 guest, as described in 4.2.1.1 Installation section of the User Manual, which says:

"In the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, VirtualBox has a handy menu item named "Insert Guest Additions CD image", which mounts the Guest Additions ISO file inside your virtual machine.”

When I click “Insert Guest Additions CD image”, I get the following error:
Could not mount the media/drive '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).
The first suggestion in this thread says to remove whatever ISO is already mounted in the VM settings. I assume I do this by going to the Storage tab in Settings, where I see the openSUSE-13.2-DVD-x86_64.iso under Controller: IDE. However, it won’t let me remove it.

The second suggestion in this thread says to “eject” whatever is using the virtual drive first. I assume I do this by selecting Devices > Optical Drives > Remove disk from virtual drive. This just results in a similar error: Could not unmount the currently mounted media/drive (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

I am using Fixed not dynamic. I can see the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso disk image in my Mac Finder window. But I have no idea at this point how to insert it. If I try to choose that disk image from the Devices menu, it doesn’t seem to be accessible (can’t right-click on VirtualBox under the Applications folder go drill down to the iso as the VirtualBox icon is grayed out.)
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Eject the cd/dvd from within the guest first or shut down the guest and remove it using the settings -> storage section
tacorama

Post by tacorama »

Ah, ok. It worked. Thanks!