USB Microphone on Mac OS X Host, Win7 Guest gets only static

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
KCBaltz

USB Microphone on Mac OS X Host, Win7 Guest gets only static

Post by KCBaltz »

VirtualBox 4.3.20
OS X 10.10.2 on MacBook Pro
Win 7 SP1

I have a Win 7 guest configured with Intel HD Audio and I'm trying to get it to let me use my Cisco IP Communicator soft phone with my Plantronics USB headset. Everything works if I use the built-in speakers and microphone or a wired 1/8" headphone set, but when I use the USB, only the audio out works. When I listen to what the audio IN is receiving, I hear bursts of static.

Based on another thread on this forum ("[Solved] XP/Win7 guest without microphone ?"), I'm guessing the problem is that the USB Headset has only two sample rates, 8khz and 16kz, but the Win 7 device is expecting 44.1kz. Neither the guest nor the host gives me the option to pick something compatible with the other (Host gives me the two 8 and 16 choice, guest has the option greyed out).

Any suggestions?
KCBaltz

Re: USB Microphone on Mac OS X Host, Win7 Guest gets only st

Post by KCBaltz »

Bump.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

If you've already tried to set up your USB microphone using the /Applications/Audio MIDI Setup, I don't think there's more that you can do.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
KCBaltz

Post by KCBaltz »

I was afraid of that. My guess is that what's needed is for the driver in the guest to allow configuration of the sampling rate. Right now, it seems to be fixed at 44.1k. I don't know how easy it would be to modify the driver.