Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object [Resolved]

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object - Plzz help!!

Post by socratis »

Replace the /Users/las/Library/Virtualbox/compreg.dat with the attached one.
compreg.dat.zip
(663 Bytes) Downloaded 53 times
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
las

Post by las »

staff 1267 Nov 29 03:16 compreg.dat

replaced, but still the same.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, try the one-before-the-last solution; create a new administrator user, log on as the new one and launch VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
las

Post by las »

It's not working with new admin user either. Uninstalled and re-installed in new login and that didn't work too.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm out of ideas. I don't know what else to tell you except that something is wrong with your computer setup. Wish I new what it was.

One last thing. In the new admin's Library, the compreg.dat is again 1214 bytes? Because, if it is, something does not get registered right in your system. For reference, I'll post the differences. Yours with red, mine with blue.
rel:VBoxXPCOMIPCC.dylib,1416579742000
rel:VBoxXPCOMIPCC.dylib,1381837049000

{63a5d9dc-4828-425a-bd50-bd10a4b26f2c},,,,rel:VBoxXPCOMIPCC.dylib
{63a5d9dc-4828-425a-bd50-bd10a4b26f2c},@mozilla.org/ipc/dconnect-service;1,,ipcDConnectService,rel:VBoxXPCOMIPCC.dylib
I would head over to the bugtracker or the devs IRC channel, and although I don't think this is a VirtualBox bug, you might get some help and/or better debugging.
las

Post by las »

We couldn't fix the issue; Nevertheless, Thanks a lot for helping me out.

I sent an email to vbox-dev@virtualbox.org and i got a reply saying it's rejected. i don't know whom to contact or if there is any alternative or any solution whatsoever.

Only other thing I can think of is my old VirtualBox installation, I am not sure if I ever used it. I also had cloudera cdh4 ISO in my machine. I have uninstalled and deleted the ISO. I don't remember if I have ever used them.

Can anyone please help????
las

Re: Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object [Resolved]

Post by las »

Finally, got it resolved by virtualbox-dev group.

Had to do,

sudo rmdir /tmp
sudo ln -s private/tmp /tmp

Thanks all!!
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Interesting. The /tmp alias is installed in OSX by default. I wonder where yours went. A poorly written app may have deleted it instead of the files inside it or corrupted the file.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
tanderegg

Post by tanderegg »

I know this is an old thread, but this was the only solution I found to a similar problem on ArchLinux:

I was getting

Progress state: NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED
VBoxManage: error: Appliance import failed
VBoxManage: error: Code NS_ERROR_FACTORY_NOT_REGISTERED (0x80040154) - Class not registered (extended info not available)
VBoxManage: error: Context: "int handleImportAppliance(HandlerArg*)" at line 779 of file VBoxManageAppliance.cpp

And related to the OP's solution, I simply cleared out /tmp completely, and this fixed the problem.
hidra

Post by hidra »

Re-bumping old thread, sorry.

I came across the same problem today, eventually the cause is low disk space.
So clearing disk space is the solution.

Cheers
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@hidra
Thanks for letting us know. It might help others with the same problem.
MrMr

Post by MrMr »

I just witnessed this badness on OS X 10.11.6. There was a hidden directory in /tmp that I had to remove:

/tmp/.vbox-username-ipc

That directory contained two other directories, 'ipcd' and 'lock'. Removed the directory from /tmp and back to normal. A more informative error message might help.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I have that directory too. Even with all VirtualBox related processes shut down. It shouldn't prevent VirtualBox from running. Unless the permissions were set incorrectly somehow, which is not unheard of. Here's my /tmp:
  • SGK-MBP2300:~ socratis$ ls -alR /private/tmp/.vbox-socratis-ipc/
    total 8
    drwx------   4 socratis  wheel  136 14 Ιαν 09:54 .
    drwxrwxrwt@ 11 root      wheel  374 14 Ιαν 09:52 ..
    srwx------   1 socratis  wheel    0 14 Ιαν 09:54 ipcd
    -rw-------   1 socratis  wheel    6 14 Ιαν 09:54 lock
PS: BTW, as you noticed, the "ipcd" and "lock" are not directories. The "ipcd" is a socket (Inter Process Communication Daemon) and the "lock" is a simple text file that contains the PID of the "VBoxXPCOMIPCD" process. As for the error message, I don't know enough to be able to tell why it fails exactly.
millenniumtree

Post by millenniumtree »

We had the "Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object" error on a Windows Server 2008 machine.

The machine's drive had filled up, and VirtualBox overwrote VirtualBox.xml with an empty file (0 bytes).
Freeing up space on the drive, then deleting VirtualBox.xml allowed the VirtualBox manager to start (with no Machines).
I actually moved the Virtualbox VMs folder to another drive to free up more space on C:
Then I re-added the machine (thankfully we only had 1) with the existing disk image (now on D: drive)

Your mileage may vary, but this solved our problem.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

millenniumtree wrote:We had the "Failed to create the VirtualBox COM object" error on a Windows Server 2008 machine.
Did you notice that you are posting in the "OSX Hosts" section of the forums? An error can have many sources, yours is not the same as the one discussed here.