Ubuntu 14.10 Desktop installation is unusable

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Concon

Re: Ubuntu 14.10 Desktop installation is unusable

Post by Concon »

Problably you are having problems with 3D Acceleration in your virtual machine. If you are using Intel video card, you can disable it creating or editting this file:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Intel Graphics"
        Driver "intel"
        Option "NoAccel" "True"
        Option "DRI" "False"
EndSection
Reboot your machine and see if it works.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Your suggestion actually has nothing to do with the OP's original problem. First of all he hadn't installed the virtual machine in order to disable 3D acceleration. Even if it had anything to do with 3D acceleration, it can be disabled in the settings for the guest and 3D acceleration wouldn't be available to virtual machine until the guest additions were installed.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
c228

Post by c228 »

It's a bug. Also happens in 16.04 with virtualbox 5.0.2. Your settings are unrelated. What you can do as a workaround is change the tty to let the guest refresh its gui.

While focusing on the Guest Window Press right ctrl + F7 followed by right ctrl + F1

More information here:
askubuntu . com / questions / 541006 / ubuntu-14-10-does-not-install-in-virtualbox

(remove the spaces)
Joshfromtexas

Post by Joshfromtexas »

I have three Live USB's VitualBox (Version 4.3.6 r91406) with Ubuntu 14.04, 14.10, and 16.04. I don't have any issues running Live USB VirtualBox with Ubuntu 14.04. However the ones with Ubuntu 14.10 and 16.04 both boot to Colored vertical stripes most of the time.

The Live USB VitualBox with Ubuntu 14.10 can boot to Intel Pentium and Core 2 Duo machines very slowly, ~40min on Windows XP. It can boot to one of the Lenovo ThinkPad T410 (Intel 1st generation i5 M520) without issue and in about 5 minutes. But it boot to colored vertical stripes on another ThinkPad T410 with the same setup. It boot to colored vertical stripes on all 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th generation Intel Core-i5/i7 CPU's.

The live USB Virtualbox with Ubuntu 16.04 fared even worse, none of the ThinkPad T410 can boot it normally.