[Solved] Can't Upgrade 10.6 to 10.6.8 Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

[Solved] Can't Upgrade 10.6 to 10.6.8 Guest

Post by loukingjr »

Geez.

Installed OSX 10.6 using either 32bit or 64bit Snow Leopard template. Both run fine. Download the 10.6.8 Combo update, install on either, installation is successful. Restart either guest, crashes with a critical error dialog. I'm starting to hate Snow Leopard. :lol:

Host: OSX 10.10 VirtualBox 4.3.18
Last edited by loukingjr on 28. Oct 2014, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can't Upgrade 10.6 to 10.6.8 Guest

Post by socratis »

You most probably run in the bug with the notorious "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext". There are a couple of options:
- After installing 10.6.8 and before you reboot, rename/move said extension.
- Take a look at the workaround for 10.5 in the "Known issues" of the OSX on OSX thread.
If that doesn't solve it, you know the drill. Logs, vbox, etc... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

socratis wrote:You most probably run in the bug with the notorious "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext". There are a couple of options:
- After installing 10.6.8 and before you reboot, rename/move said extension.
- Take a look at the workaround for 10.5 in the "Known issues" of the OSX on OSX thread.
If that doesn't solve it, you know the drill. Logs, vbox, etc... ;)
I actually removed the ext before I tried to update to 10.6.8. Perhaps I should do it after the updates are installed. :)

If it comes down to the "drill", it may not be worth it to me. :lol: I don't need a 10.6.8 guest. I was just trying the new templates. :)
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

blah :lol:
this part of the log is interesting… ::smh::
00:09:43.192281 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
00:09:43.192282 !!
00:09:43.192282 !! Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
00:09:43.192294 !!
00:09:43.192319 !! Skipping ring-0 registers and stack, rcErr=VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT
00:09:43.192325 !!
00:09:43.192325 !! {mappings, <NULL>}
00:09:43.192326 !!
00:09:43.192334
00:09:43.192334 The mappings are DISABLED.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(47.83 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
VBox.png
VBox.png (10.99 KiB) Viewed 11557 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I spent more of my day yesterday than I should have and part of the day this morning trying to resolve this issue. If someone figures out what the issue is I will come back and mark this as solved.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Can't Upgrade 10.6 to 10.6.8 Guest

Post by loukingjr »

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again". (and again and again and again and…)

I managed to get 10.6.8 installed in VB 4.3.18 on OSX 10.10.

Basically I had to…
1. Create a 64bit Snow Leopard guest.
2. Run rpmurray's command… VBoxManage modifyvm <vmname> --cpuidset 00000001 000006fb 00000800 80000209 078bfbff
3. install OSX 10.6
4. Use Software update to update 10.6 to 10.6.8
5. before restarting delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (might be optional)
6. reboot
Attachments
Snow Leopard.jpg
Snow Leopard.jpg (99.93 KiB) Viewed 11522 times
MNorth

Post by MNorth »

A little help here, please.

As suggested by the [Solved] post here, I am doing the following:

1. Create a 64bit Snow Leopard guest.
2. Run rpmurray's command… VBoxManage modifyvm <vmname> --cpuidset 00000001 000006fb 00000800 80000209 078bfbff
3. install OSX 10.6
4. Use Software update to update 10.6 to 10.6.8
5. before restarting delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (might be optional)
6. reboot

How to do step 2? Where does one enter this command, into a guest that has no operating system as yet, and no way to access it?

I encountered the same issue as reported earlier in this thread -- a successful, apparently useable installation of Snow Leopard (10.6), followed by an attempted update to 10.6.8.

And crash.

Please help, I really need Snow Leopard for several legacy apps for which there are no updates and no equiavalents. Running it as a guest OS under Mavericks.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

You run the command in the Mac terminal after your create the SL guest but before you install it.
SF Steven

Post by SF Steven »

I am also trying to get Snow Leopard (10.6.8) set up in a VB running on a new MBP (mid-2012) without much success. Initial installation goes well but upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 introduces fatal errors. Getting the same command lines and error messages as reported here.

I tried the solution suggested but have run into two problems:
1) When I try to run rpmurray's command, "VBoxManage modifyvm </System/Users/SPC/Documents/VirtualBox VMs/VB Snow Leopard.vbox> --cpuidset...", results in "-bash: /System/Users/SPC/Documents/VirtualBox: No such file or directory". Apparently not reading past the space in the default name of the Vbox folder. I have tried a number of variations of file paths, but they all fail at the space after "VirtualBox". I am not very experienced with Terminal, so perhaps I am doing something wrong.
2) Cannot find "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext". That folder appears to be empty.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

rpmurray's command is…

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm <vmname> --cpuidset 00000001 000006fb 00000800 80000209 078bfbff
No need for the full path. Since your VM has spaces in it's name, it needs to be in quotes. "VB Snow Leopard"
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

It'll also help if you don't use the angle brackets around the VM name and without the .vbox extension. Enter it like Lou shows it:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm "VB Snow Leopard" --cpuidset 00000001 000006fb 00000800 80000209 078bfbff
SF Steven

Post by SF Steven »

Thanks Guys! That did the trick. It appears that I needed very explicit instructions. Now that that has worked I will reinstall Snow Leopard this evening and see if the updates take. I will let you know how things go tomorrow…

Steven
SF Steven

Post by SF Steven »

Promised I would report on my experience with my attempt to reinstall Snow Leopard, and here it is. It took about a dozen attempts, with and without the CPU redirection (rpmurray's command line), with and without Rosetta, before I was able to replicate my previous success. And I was able only to do a basic install, without modification of the default settings, i.e. no Rosetta. Trying to install with Rosetta seemed to hang the install. What finally worked, thus far, was to run the install without the CPU redirection. I may try the redirection later, to see if it facilitates the updating process. So here is what I did, which eventually worked, although I must say rather unpredictably:

1) Create new Virtual Machine using OS X 64 default settings.
2) Insert installer disc into optical drive and close when it opens in the finder.
3) Start up VM, select optical drive, and wait while command lines are processed - 3 mins or so.
4) Proceed with install to the point when the option to do housekeeping is offered.
5) Run Disk Utility and erase the virtual hard disk, this will provide a target disk for installation.
6) Proceed with install... about 1/2 hour.

However, install repeatedly failed, early in the process. Sometimes I could restart the virtual machine and try again, although second tries seem never to work. So I began to just remove the old and create new machines each time it failed. Tried with and without the CPU redirection. With and without Rosetta. Finally worked without CPU redirection and without Rosetta. Although I cannot say why. I had already tried that combination on more than one occasion.

Even though I have a nominally functional OS installed it is hardly working in what I would consider an acceptable fashion. The first, most obvious shortcoming is the fact that it does not seem to be capturing keyboard postings, in spite of the capture indicator suggesting that it should. Most annoying about this is the fact that when I go to quit an app with the keyboard shortcut, command-Q, it wants to quit the VM. I would welcome any suggestions on a solution for this buggy behavior.

Having said that, I am getting the impression that VB is not reliable. And even if I can get OS X 10.6.8 up and running, it will not be as smooth and seamless, or offer as attractive an interface and user experience as the paid competition. If I had worked for the time I have spent trying to set this up, I could have paid for that several times over already. I just want to run my legacy software. I have no desire to become a VB expert. I welcome any comments.

Having said that, I have a curious mind and it is not in my nature to give up on such matters easily, so I may do a little more experimentation over the weekend to see if I can get a functioning 10.6.8 installed. I will certainly be taking snapshots this time around. Any other suggestions? If I do proceed with this research, I will report back.

In any event, thanks for your helpful input. This is a very congenial community and forum.

Steven
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Well, you never asked if it ran well. :D

OSX is not a supported guest in VirtualBox hence no guest additions to run better. I do own one of the other hypervisors and it doesn't support OSX 10.6. Just 10.7 and up and the server versions of 10.5 and 10.6. I'm not sure about the other one out there. Even the one I use specifically to run OSX guests has no 3D acceleration which means certain kinds of video will not play among other issues.
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

SF Steven wrote:Most annoying about this is the fact that when I go to quit an app with the keyboard shortcut, command-Q, it wants to quit the VM. I would welcome any suggestions on a solution for this buggy behavior.
VirtualBox doesn't pass through Command-Q for quitting an app in OS X guests; instead capturing it to quit the VB app. At least that's been my experience with earlier versions of VB, I haven't tried the latest releases. As far as I know there's no way to modify this behaviour.

I can't remember if the template takes care of this but have you checked Settings > System > Acceleration to see if Nested Paging is enabled? Depending on the version of VB, turning this on or off makes a difference in getting an OS X guest install to work. Also, the releases of VB after 4.3.6 have some changes that might affect the installation of OS X as a guest, so you could try using 4.3.6 to see if that works better for you.