vdi duplication

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
pvmstg

vdi duplication

Post by pvmstg »

With the beta I could duplicate one base vdi to use it as base for and other install program.

This time I do the same and try to make and other virtual machine with the use of the duplicate vdi... unfortunately now I receive and error message.

It's verry usefull not to have to reinstall all the system with antivirus, utilities and others basics stuff if we wan't to use a dedicate vm for a specific program. I personnaly use 3 vm with tree choices of software on them.

A hard disk with UUID {8726b6ec-2ae5-4f06-27af-0da74aef06a1} or with the same properties ('/Users/pvmstg/Documents/virtualisation_wine/vb_win2000/win2000_am.vdi') is already registered.

Code de résultat :
0x80070057
Composant :
VirtualBox
Interface :
IVirtualBox {2d3b9ea7-25f5-4f07-a8e1-7dd7e0dcf667}
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

Did you just duplicate the existing vdi-file with your system tools like "cp"? This isn't a good idea because the new file won't get a new UUID.

As you can read in chapters 5.3 and 8.14 of the User Manual you have to use VBoxManage to clone an existing vdi and to ensure that it gets a new UUID.

The corresponding command is:

VBoxManage clonevdi <uuid>|<filename> <outputfile>
pvmstg

vdi cloning

Post by pvmstg »

Thanks, it's unfortunate that just use the osX duplicate doesn't work like it does in the beta. Also, with vpc dupicate the vdi is so simple and works.

I suggest to put and other button to do that job... osX guys, like me are not so trill about command.

I will try later on. By the way, where is the manager... I only see the gui icon of virtual box, no other things...
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

You have to open the terminal, the VBoxManage program is not accessible through the GUI.
Just enter the command as quoted and replace the filename of input and output file. "<uuid>" should be unnecessary if you give the filename.
pvmstg

cloning dvi

Post by pvmstg »

Thanks, I try it and it's work. Hoping to have this feature included in the gui soon...