Upgrading from 1.5.51 to 1.6 (Mac OS X Leopard host)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Excelsior

Upgrading from 1.5.51 to 1.6 (Mac OS X Leopard host)

Post by Excelsior »

Hi everyone,

I started using 1.5.51 on my MacBook Professional (OS X 10.5.2) a few months ago. With the release of 1.6, I'm ready to update my software.

The question is... what's the upgrade path?

* Do I uninstall 1.5.51, then install 1.6?
* Do I simply install 1.6, assuming it will overwrite/replace 1.5.51?
* Will upgrading from 1.5.51 to 1.6 result in losing the OS installations I've added? Will I have to start again from scratch, reloading the OSes? Or does VirtualBox detect the existing .vdi files and add them during the installation?

Btw, this is something I STRONGLY urge innotek, er... Sun Microsystems to add into the documentation and FAQs. I dearly love this product, but I'm nervous to upgrade without some form of official guidance (from Sun engineers) about what will happen/what I need to do.

Thank you, Sun, for continuing to support Mac with this new version!
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

If you dare trust a not official statement, I'd say that it is safe to just install 1.6 without doing anything to your older installation.

It worked fine for me. At the first start of the upgraded VirtualBox I could choose whether I wanted to have some config-files updated or not. I chose "yes" and everything is working as intended.
ZeB

Post by ZeB »

I just upgraded from to 1.6 and except a "kernel drive not installed" alert (fixed after rebooting my MacPro) all went fine.

But i still have that damn problem happening when i stop my Xp client, and trying to relaunch it. I guess taking a snapshot would have the same effect...

VM creation failed (GVMM).
VBox status code: -32 (VERR_INTERNAL_ERROR).

Code de résultat :
0x80004005
Composant :
Console
Interface :
IConsole {d5a1cbda-f5d7-4824-9afe-d640c94c7dcf}
It can be fixed with a reboot, but still... quite anoying to restart the whole machine :/
Excelsior

Post by Excelsior »

Thank you both. I downloaded, then installed 1.6 without removing the existing 1.5.51 installation. (I rebooted after the install just to make sure I didn't incur any kernel issues, as previously suggested by ZeB.)

Absolute bliss. VirtualBox 1.6 works perfectly on my Mac... although I miss the 1.5.51 icon. The new Sun-stylized brand icon is... too big, bland and generic, imho. Blah.
ZeB

Post by ZeB »

Excelsior wrote:although I miss the 1.5.51 icon. The new Sun-stylized brand icon is... too big, bland and generic, imho. Blah.
Same thoughts !