Status of OSX on OSX

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
lax

Re: Status of OSX on OSX

Post by lax »

I'd like to install OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on a Macbook Pro running 10.9.4 (Mavericks) because I need to use some PowerPC apps (OSX later than 10.6 has no support for this because of the absence of Rosetta). Since OSX 10.6 refuses to install on my Mac (I've purchased the white retail boxed Snow Leopard 10.6.3 installation DVD), I've been trying to run it virtually through Virtualbox.
I've read the thread through a couple of times but have to admit I'm still pretty clueless, so I have a few general starter questions:
  • Do I need the "server" version of 10.6 or will an ISO or DMG disk image of my "regular" installation DVD do?
  • Will I be able to install OSX 10.6 through VB even though on the desktop I have a white "prohibit" symbol over the OSX installation file?
  • Does the installation involve tweaking the configuration files and/or terminal commands, or should it be a straight installation?
I've tried numerous versions of VB (currently on 4.3.12 as a poster in this thread appeared to have OSX 10.6 working with that particular version) but I'm getting a "critical error" when booting up. I'm getting past the (black with white "DOS" type text screen) "Loading mach kernel" section, but after loading "extensions.mkext" that error message window pops up. I won't get into the specifics here as the original poster asked not to, but first want to understand the basics as asked above.

As for my hardware, here are the relevant specs:

Macbook Pro 9,2 (mid-2012) 13"
- Intel core i5 (2.5GHz)
- 4GB RAM
- Intel HD4000 graphics
- OSX 10.9.4
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

Update:

Got the final Yosemite public release working with VBox 4.3.18! :D
Yosemite public release running on Virtual Box 4.3.18
Yosemite public release running on Virtual Box 4.3.18
Yosemite_final_on_Virtual_Box_4.3.18.jpg (123.24 KiB) Viewed 10302 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Yes, but would you say "I got it running" or "I got i crawling"? Because on my system it's slow as molasses. Unbearably slow graphics. Jerky mouse movement, misses keyboard input if you type more than two characters per second. Now that it's officially out, I'll open a new topic so we can share there the information. But, for this topic, it's good to know that it boots and installs. That's all we care for... Thanks for your info. BTW, what's your model and configuration?

PS. I really need to update the first post with the latest and greatest info, if I find the time. Sometime...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

socratis wrote:Yes, but would you say "I got it running" or "I got i crawling"? Because on my system it's slow as molasses. Unbearably slow graphics. Jerky mouse movement, misses keyboard input if you type more than two characters per second. [...] BTW, what's your model and configuration?
I'd say somewhere between "crawling" and "running" :D

I don't seem to have a problem with jerky mouse movement or keyboard input (other than the occasional missed keystroke).

The most annoying thing at the moment is video glitching. This VBox page I'm typing in keeps flickering up at the top for some reason. Probably the animated smiles causing all the video action.

Maybe I'm having less problems because I'm on a 2010 Mac Pro 6-core 3.33 GHz with 2 cores dedicated to VirtualBox?

We definitely need a Virtual Box Additions for this configuration! Smoother video/mouse/keyboard and the ability to make the window larger than 1024x768 would be most welcome, for starters. Edit: Working sound would be even more awesome!

(BTW - side issue, how do I get a Command-Q quit keystroke sequence through to the VM and not quit the VirtualBox VM instead? :shock: )
Last edited by Riot Nrrrd™ on 19. Oct 2014, 09:11, edited 1 time in total.
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

P.S. No video glitches on this posting page when I use Safari instead of Google Chrome!

So it looks like it's a Chrome rendering issue. Also don't seem to have the typing dropouts problem as much when using Safari! (Bummer - I much prefer Chrome to Safari.)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hey Riot Nrrrd™, I opened a new thread to discuss 10.10 specific issues in the Mac OSX guests forum: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=64228

Please do not continue with specific problems/glitches here. The fact that it booted and installed is good enough for this thread.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

socratis wrote:Hey Riot Nrrrd™, I opened a new thread to discuss 10.10 specific issues in the Mac OSX guests forum: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=64228

Please do not continue with specific problems/glitches here. The fact that it booted and installed is good enough for this thread.
No problem - that was what my previous update was pretty much for anyway, just to show that it came up. The rest is anecdotal :lol:
aqua_lung

Post by aqua_lung »

I was able to run 10.7 on my 2010 macbook pro host with 10.9 - 10.10 without modification, but my newer 2012 macbook pro required the following code to run

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm <vmname> --cpuidset 00000001 000006fb 00000800 80000209 078bfbff
elch

Post by elch »

Hi everybody,

I am a complete newbie and trying to wiggle my way through this without any knowledge about programming, codes etc.etc.

So please, please, please, excuse my posting here and asking basic questions, but I am utterly incapable of finding the right answers in all the discussions going on

I am using VBox 4.3.20. on Mac OS X 10.10.1.
and trying to virtualize OS X 10.6 using an Installer on DVD.

I keep getting fatal errors and this message "Fsw ERROR: Install MultipleProtocolInterfaces returned 2 found HFS+"

Could someone please tell me

1) If this is possible at all.
2) Which settings I need to manipulate.

Log files and screenshots: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65869
Last edited by elch on 3. Feb 2015, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@elch: You already have another thread open. If you manage to get it working there, THEN you should post here, or I'll update the first post. Otherwise the thread will get polluted with "help me" messages. Besides, cross-posting is not permitted. Forum rules.
elch

Post by elch »

I got referred from the other thread to this one.

If there is another way to contact people dealing with this issue,
like sending PMs, for example,
please let me know.

e.
gensym
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows, OS X

OSX 10.6.8 guest, OSX 10.11.1 host, VBox 4.3.32 OK, 5.0.8 br

Post by gensym »

Short update:

OS X 10.6.8 guest runs OK (1) under VirtualBox 4.3.32 on an OS X 10.11.1 (El Capitan) host (the virtual machine was created from the Snow Leopard install DVD using VirtualBox 4.3.28 running Yosemite); the same virtual machine crashes under VirtualBox 5.0.8.

This is on a MacBook Retina Pro (15-inch, Mid-2015), 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7, running 10.11.1 (El Capitan).

(1) Legacy presentations, using a PowerPC-based version of Microsoft PowerPoint [Rosetta!] (to circumvent the ominous "No QuickTime Compressor" issue, now present also on Apple KeyNote (thank you, El Capitan, for offering no official upgrade path))
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Two things…
1. my OSX 10.6.8 guest runs fine in VB 5.0.8 and OSX 10.11.1. It's been a long time since I created it but was long before OSX 10.11 or VB 5.0.
2. Apple hasn't had upgrade paths for PowerPC apps in years and years and years. Just notice?
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
gensym
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows, OS X

Post by gensym »

Hello loukingjr,

[quote="loukingjr"]Two things…
> 1. my OSX 10.6.8 guest runs fine in VB 5.0.8 and OSX 10.11.1. It's been a long time since I created it but was long before OSX 10.11 or VB 5.0.

MANY thanks for raising my hopes! After some failed attempts to get the OS X 10.6 install DVD to work for a new VM under VB 5.0.10, I wondered if you could please post a summary of your 10.6.8 guest configuration (or point out differences to mine, given in the following -- this hopefully requiring less trouble)?

General-basic:
Type: Mac OS X
Version: Mac OS X (32-bit)

System-Motherboard:
Base Memory: 4MB
Chipset: PIIX3
Pointing Device: USB Tablet
Extended Features:
[x] Enable I/O APIC
[x] Enable EFI
[x] Hardware Clock in UTC Time

System-Processor:
Processor(s): 1
Execution Cap: 100%
Extended Features: [x] Enable PAE/NX

System-Acceleration:
Paravirtualization Interface: Legacy
Hardware Virtualization:
[x] Enable VT-x/AMD-V
[x] Enable Nested Paging

Storage:
Controller: SATA
Type: AHCI
Port Count: 2
[ ] Use Host I/O Cache

Audio:
[x] Enable Audio
Host Audio Driver: CoreAudio
Audio Controller: Intel HD Audio

(Short clarification re: my comment on upgrade path: I did not mean to refer to the change of processor architecture (PowerPC->Intel, Rosetta) but to the disappearance of support for QuickTime compressors and the related issues in MS PowerPoint. If the latter should in fact be but an instance of the former, then I do offer apologies!)
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

My setting differences are…
Version: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow leopard (64-bit)
Chipset: ICH9
Paravirtualization Interface: Default
Audio: disabled
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.