Status of OSX on OSX

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Status of OSX on OSX

Post by loukingjr »

loukingjr wrote:OSX 10.10 Yosemite Guest, OSX 10.9.3 Mavericks Host

note: can't show the transparency without 3D support.
well, it is possible to install 10.10 as a guest.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

loukingjr wrote:
loukingjr wrote:OSX 10.10 Yosemite Guest, OSX 10.9.3 Mavericks Host

note: can't show the transparency without 3D support.
well, it is possible to install 10.10 as a guest.
Instructions?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Riot Nrrrd™ wrote:Instructions?
To be honest, I did that nearly two months ago and I don't remember exactly how I did it. I did use rpmurry's hint at changing the cpu info and I may have started with a 10.6.8 guest and updated that.

Even if I did remember I doubt I would want to type it all out. As I mentioned earlier, it was kind of a pain for not much reward. It certainly wasn't all that usable.
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

loukingjr wrote:
Riot Nrrrd™ wrote:Instructions?
To be honest, I did that nearly two months ago and I don't remember exactly how I did it. I did use rpmurry's hint at changing the cpu info and I may have started with a 10.6.8 guest and updated that.
OK. You mean this hint?

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm <vmname> --cpuidset 00000001 000006fb 00000800 80000209 078bfbff
Just out of curiosity - what CPUID does this change it to? (Does it matter if I'm on a Mac Pro host and not an iMac?)
Last edited by Riot Nrrrd™ on 6. Aug 2014, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

yes, that hint. I used it to install 10.6.8. I'm not sure which CPU it refers to.

As far as Pro vs iMac, I can't answer that because I've never had a Mac Pro to check.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

If you really want to try OSX 10.10, you would be much better off either installing it on an external drive or in a separate partition.
Last edited by loukingjr on 6. Aug 2014, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

loukingjr wrote:If you really want to try OSX 10.10, you would be much better off either installing it on an external drive or a separate partition.
Don't have a separate partition available, and the only port/power plug I have available to use is being used by my 4 TB Time Machine backup disk.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

To install Mountain Lion and Mavericks as Virtual Machines, I used How to install OS X on VirtualBox - Robert Setiadi Website
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

Just tried to install from the 10.6(.0) GM (10A432) disc image in 4.3.14 and it immediately panicked in that darn AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext.

Settings for the VM were 6 CPUs, 128 MB VRAM, 2 GB RAM, "Enable Nested Paging" disabled, "Type: Mac OS X", "Version: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (64 bit)".

After the initial VM setup I applied the cpuidset patch before I tried booting from the DVD disc image.

Kind of hard to rename/disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement when it's inside a locked disc image! :?

Edit: Will look at that Robert Setiadi Web page next. Can't use that method, Snow Leopard comes with Ruby 1.8.7 and iesd requires Ruby 1.9.2 or higher.

Starting to think this would be better attempted from my Mac mini at work running Mavericks 10.9.4 instead.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Riot Nrrrd™ wrote: Settings for the VM were 6 CPUs, 128 MB VRAM, 2 GB RAM, "Enable Nested Paging" disabled, "Type: Mac OS X", "Version: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (64 bit)".
seriously? you might want to try 1 or 2 CPUs.
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

loukingjr wrote:
Riot Nrrrd™ wrote: Settings for the VM were 6 CPUs, 128 MB VRAM, 2 GB RAM, "Enable Nested Paging" disabled, "Type: Mac OS X", "Version: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (64 bit)".
When I had gotten the Mountain Lion disc to run the OS installer, it seemed really sluggish with 1 CPU so I thought with a Six-Core Mac Pro I could bump it up a bit :D
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Riot Nrrrd™ wrote:
loukingjr wrote:
When I had gotten the Mountain Lion disc to run the OS installer, it seemed really sluggish with 1 CPU so I thought with a Six-Core Mac Pro I could bump it up a bit :D
two might be better. however, without hardware acceleration all OSX guests will be sluggish. which is one of the reasons I don't bother with OSX guests. That and I have four Macs with various versions of OSX installed. :D
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

Riot Nrrrd™ wrote:What happened with VirtualBox after 4.3.6 that has screwed things up for Mac OS X guests?
Not all Mac OS X guests, just guests of OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and OS X 10.5 (Leopard), OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and above were still working at least through VB 4.3.12 according to socratis who has actually worked with those versions. The VirtualBox developers have been making modifications since 4.3.8 that tweak the MSRs.

The VBoxManage modifyvm hint that loukingjr is referring to just works to help install versions of OS X that are older than the versions that can run natively on your Mac. If you're capable of running the OS X natively that you want to install as a guest then you don't need it.

The important part of the hint is the 000006fb bit. It identifies the CPU to the guest as an Intel Core 2 Duo T7700 (like those in the iMac Mid-2007 models) which is capable of running OS X 10.4 to OS X 10.6 (and higher). It's only function is to get past the CPU test done by the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext that causes a kernel panic it your CPU is not one supported for the older version of OS X you're trying to install as a guest.

If you are trying to install 10.6 (Snow Leopard) as a 64-bit guest you need to have nested paging turned on or you will get that darn AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kernel panic.
Last edited by rpmurray on 18. Sep 2014, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Here's what I did to install the 10.10 public beta. First of all, I don't like the iesd method, so here is another script that works with the basic OSX without any additions/modifications/alterations/installations. You'll need at least 15 GB of free space before doing this.

Code: Select all

# ==============================================================
# 10.10 How to make an ISO from the Install.app
# ==============================================================
# Mount the installer image. It assumes that the installation app is called "Install OS X Yosemite.app"
# located in your "Applications" folder. If not, change the first command accordingly.
hdiutil attach /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_app

# Convert the boot image to a sparse bundle
hdiutil convert /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.dmg -format UDSP -o /tmp/Yosemite

# Increase the sparse bundle capacity to 8GB to accommodate the packages
hdiutil resize -size 8g /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage

# Mount the sparse bundle for package addition
hdiutil attach /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage -noverify -nobrowse -mountpoint /Volumes/install_build

# Remove Package link and replace with actual files
rm /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/Packages
cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/Packages /Volumes/install_build/System/Installation/
cp -rp /Volumes/install_app/BaseSystem.* /Volumes/install_build/

# Unmount the installer image
hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_app

# Unmount the sparse bundle
hdiutil detach /Volumes/install_build

# Resize the partition in the sparse bundle to remove any free space
hdiutil resize -size `hdiutil resize -limits /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage | tail -n 1 | awk '{ print $1 }'`b /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage

# Convert the sparse bundle to ISO/CD master
hdiutil convert /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage -format UDTO -o /tmp/Yosemite

# Remove the sparse bundle
rm /tmp/Yosemite.sparseimage

# Rename the ISO and move it to the desktop
mv /tmp/Yosemite.cdr ~/Desktop/Yosemite.iso
As for template, I used the 10.9 64-bit. That's it. Although slower that 10.9 it installs and works (no sound).

You may optionally want to change the amount of memory to 3072 and the CPUs to 2, but it installs fine without those modifications.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

Was about to declare both of you geniuses as I used the script (slightly massaged) and the OS installer came up and it seemed to be working ...

But then it got to the end, black screened as it looked like it wanted to reboot and then it just sat there.

Powered it off and back on and it booted back to the installer virtual DVD-ROM drive as it appears it couldn't boot from the freshly installed hard drive.
Post-install screen
Post-install screen
IMG_0751.JPG (123.13 KiB) Viewed 15036 times
Last edited by Riot Nrrrd™ on 7. Aug 2014, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.