Status of OSX on OSX

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Status of OSX on OSX

Post by loukingjr »

I thought I would add a couple points. Once I had 10.6.8 running I was amazed at just how fast it ran as a guest. I never saw it run that fast natively and was somewhat surprised even though I have much faster hardware now. Everything worked as it should with the exception of Adobe Flash. I made the mistake of upgrading it but instead of slow, flickering online video it ended up not playing at all. I tried downgrading back but what was the point really? Modern versions of Google Chrome wouldn't work either. As I mentioned my internet connection which is normally 80Mbs even in guests, dropped to 20Mbs for whatever reason.

It was fun while it lasted but I ended up deleting the guest. I do want to thank rpmurray again for the help though. danke.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
jlg89

Post by jlg89 »

Thanks a million for this tip, rpmurray. Given this issue, it seems to me that the configuration options for any Mac OS X VM should really include a way to specify the "vintage" of the hardware that is presented to the guest OS. Submitted the idea as a bug report.

I can confirm that deleting "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext" allowed me to increase the CPUs in my Snow Leopard VM from 1 to 2 (otherwise the VM hung at startup).

This enables me to keep using some older apps that require Rosetta, without having to maintain a dedicated machine to run them. Very handy.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Installed OSX 10.9.3 as a guest on OSX 10.9.3 host. Pretty boring and a little sluggish. Certainly slower than 10.6.8 was. Audio doesn't work. About it.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

OSX 10.10 Yosemite Guest, OSX 10.9.3 Mavericks Host

note: can't show the transparency without 3D support.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 10.21.47 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-06-17 at 10.21.47 AM.jpg (125.14 KiB) Viewed 14470 times
theMotoMan

Post by theMotoMan »

I'm having trouble with getting 10.6 (not SL server) running under virtual box 4.3.12 on my 2012 Mac Mini 2.3 i7 running Mavericks.

The booting of the install starts and then stalls with a continual message of "Still waiting for root device"
My boot drive is an SSD and my second drive is a SATA 1TB drive.
The SnowLeopard.dmg that I am installing from was created from a bootable USB that has the Snow Leopard installer on it. I created the USB from the original Snow Leopard discs.

I tried the trick of setting the cpu id to a supported one (listed elsewhere in this thread) and that made no difference.
I have tried both the 32bit and 64bit options.

I'm attaching the screen shot and the vbox log.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attachments
VBox.log
(97.93 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
snowleopard.png
snowleopard.png (19.55 KiB) Viewed 14404 times
rpmurray
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Post by rpmurray »

Try this:

Open Disk Utility and insert the Snow Leopard install disk into the DVD drive,
In the list of drives and volumes in the pane on the left, select the DVD drive that contains the Snow Leopard disk (not the Snow Leopard volume that is indented below it) to make the dmg. Then use the new dmg to install in VB.
theMotoMan

Post by theMotoMan »

When I create the DMG file from the bootable USB thumb drive using the top level device, not the indented volume, it boots straight into the UEFI Interactive Shell and leaves me there. BTW, I don't have my old original SL DVD discs, I got rid of them after creating my USB bootable drive. Is there a difference when creating a DMG from the USB drive versus the original DVD?
rpmurray
Volunteer

Post by rpmurray »

theMotoMan wrote:Is there a difference when creating a DMG from the USB drive versus the original DVD?
It depends on how the USB drive was created. A standard Snow Leopard install disk contains a couple of invisible partitions along with the visible partition you see when you insert the disk in a drive. If you create the dmg by just selecting the visible partition it won't completely boot when you try to use it to install a VM.
theMotoMan

Post by theMotoMan »

rpmurray wrote:
theMotoMan wrote:Is there a difference when creating a DMG from the USB drive versus the original DVD?
It depends on how the USB drive was created. A standard Snow Leopard install disk contains a couple of invisible partitions along with the visible partition you see when you insert the disk in a drive. If you create the dmg by just selecting the visible partition it won't completely boot when you try to use it to install a VM.
That must be the issue. I included the original media with one of my old computers when I sold it, so I don't have the discs to do another install.

Thanks for the help!
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

I'm running VirtualBox 4.3.14 on a Mid 2010 Mac Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard.

I thought it might be fun to play with the Yosemite Beta but VMware Fusion 6 doesn't support Snow Leopard so I can't use that for this experiment.

So I thought I'd try VirtualBox.

I tried to install Mountain Lion into a new VM (Chose "Mac OS X" and "Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (64-bit)" for Preferences -> General -> Basic tab -> Type/Version).

Attached the "InstallESD.dmg" file from the 10.8 GM (12A269) as a DVD-ROM image and booted from that.

Managed to get through the install but it white screens eventually and then finally it black screens with a few lines of text.

I kinda figured that if there was an option to choose "Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion (64-bit)" for the Version that it should support installing ML, no?

Any ideas/tips?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

There is nothing simple about installing OSX as a guest in any virtualization program. Plus, there are no guest addtions for them so no hardware acceleration, mouse integration, adjustable screen by dragging and the performance will be so so. However, I'm sure socratis or rpmurray can give you some tips if you still want to try.
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

loukingjr wrote:There is nothing simple about installing OSX as a guest in any virtualization program.
Installing Mountain Lion in VMware Fusion 5 was a piece of cake.

If VMware Fusion 6 ran on Snow Leopard I wouldn't be typing this right now.

I've had great luck with Solaris 11_1 and CentOS 6.5 in VirtualBox previously, so I thought it might be up to the task ...
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

The reason VMWare's Fusion or Parallels Desktop are more likely to work is because they are Mac only and optimized for Macs. And they cost money ;)
rpmurray
Volunteer

Post by rpmurray »

Riot Nrrrd™ wrote:Managed to get through the install but it white screens eventually and then finally it black screens with a few lines of text.
I've only tried installing up through Lion (OS X 10.7) in VirtualBox so socratis would be better able to help. Could you do a screen shot of the "few lines of text"? More data is always helpful. I do know that installing OS X in VirtualBox past 4.3.6 has been a headache for me, so I'm waiting for further developments from the VB developers before trying it again.
Riot Nrrrd™

Post by Riot Nrrrd™ »

rpmurray wrote:
Riot Nrrrd™ wrote:Managed to get through the install but it white screens eventually and then finally it black screens with a few lines of text.
I've only tried installing up through Lion (OS X 10.7) in VirtualBox so socratis would be better able to help. Could you do a screen shot of the "few lines of text"? More data is always helpful. I do know that installing OS X in VirtualBox past 4.3.6 has been a headache for me, so I'm waiting for further developments from the VB developers before trying it again.
Alas I deleted the VM not having gotten anywhere with it. What happened with VirtualBox after 4.3.6 that has screwed things up for Mac OS X guests?