vboxsf & Samba

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Busstech

vboxsf & Samba

Post by Busstech »

Hi there,

This is my first post so I would like to thank Oracle and Vbox for a great product.

Some system information:
Host Details:
iMac 20-inch, Early 2008
Processor 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 3 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128 MB
Software OS X 10.9.2 (13C64) - Mavericks

Virtual Machine Details:
Base Memory: 1024Mb
Addons: VBOXADDITIONS_4.3.10

So everything pretty much works after the initial setup. What I have working on the server is as follows;
MySQL
Samba
Network Configuration

I can ping the VM from a host terminal session, I can ping my host from the VM terminal, I have internet connectivity on the VM. I have a shared folder which is mounted to /media/sf_Media_Drive

So whats the problem?
I can traverse the mounted share folder, when I ls -gl /media/sf_Media_Drive I see that the files and folder belong to root and that they are in the vboxsf group with permissions of drwxrwx---

When I add the mount to my samba.conf file I can see the home directory, but I can't see the folder contents. This is quite annoying as I have spent days trying to resolve this.

What I have tried to get Samba to share that folder
I have tried chgrp owner_name sf_Media_Drive
I have tried chmod 777 /media/sf_Media_Drive

All the about has been fruitless as I haven't been able to traverse the folder or files from my iMac. Please can you assist in getting my folder to be shared using smb.

Kind regards,

Warren
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Re: vboxsf & Samba

Post by noteirak »

Shared folders are a very limited implementation of actual shared folders - not everything is implemented, and it requires some setup to make it work.
Maybe you should try proper implementation of network share (NFS, CIFS?) where you have a full control over permissions & all.

Not saying shared folders is not the answer to your question, but you could meet more issues along the way, where a proper network share could do the trick without all the hassle.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
Busstech

Post by Busstech »

Hi there,

So would you be so kind to provide some insight as to how best implement nfs on my system?
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Many tutorials exists on Internet about this, you should search for "how to share over nfs" in your favorite search engine.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!