Can I increase size of virtual HD after setting it as FIXED?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Can I increase size of virtual HD after setting it as FI

Post by loukingjr »

btw, you can't just move folders around. VirtualBox registers Machines and .vdi files so even if you move one out of the VM folder it still knows about it. You have to stop doing things you "think" you are supposed to do.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
magentawave
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro

Post by magentawave »

I'm not intentionally creating any new folders outside of Vbox but when I create a new Vbox machine it automatically creates a new folder and if that new machine folder is to reside inside the VirtualBox VMs folder (which is where the first VBox machine folder resides and is named "Windows 7"), then I have to give it a different name than "Windows 7." How else can I do this?

I see only one NEWWindow 7.vdi on my computer here /Users/MBP17/VirtualBox VMs/_Windows 7/NEWWindow7.vdi so I don't know why the heck its showing that there is another one here /Users/MBP17/NEWWindow 7.vdi. The strange thing is that a search on my computer (OSX 10.9.2) for .vdi files only shows this one /Users/MBP17/VirtualBox VMs/_Windows 7/NEWWindow7.vdi when it should be showing me all three like it is in the screen capture of the VirtualBox Image Manager below.
Capture6.JPG
Capture6.JPG (43.77 KiB) Viewed 1422 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

you need to remove the two with red icons from the list.

then you should be able to add the newwindows 7 to your machine.

if you can't add the .vdi you need to remove the Windows 7.vdi as well.
magentawave

Post by magentawave »

I removed the other two .vdi files and was able to add the new .vdi file to the SATA so halla-freaking-lool-ya to that! :D

The screen capture below shows whats going on when I right clicked on the C Drive to increase the virtual HD's capacity. You will see that it won't let me increase the MB's in the box where it says "Select the amount of MB:" What should I do to increase this?

I really appreciate you walking me through this. Thanks again.
Capture8.JPG
Capture8.JPG (65.12 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
magentawave

Post by magentawave »

Hold the press! I thought there was supposed to be a step there besides just clicking "Next" but thats all there was so I think I'm good now. I will test all the programs now to see if they are working properly.

Last question, I hope...

When I see that everything is cool with this new machine and after I delete the old machine, can I rename the new machine so its "Windows 7" instead of the current "NEWWindows7" or should I just leave it alone?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

magentawave wrote:Hold the press! I thought there was supposed to be a step there besides just clicking "Next" but thats all there was so I think I'm good now. I will test all the programs now to see if they are working properly.

Last question, I hope...

When I see that everything is cool with this new machine and after I delete the old machine, can I rename the new machine so its "Windows 7" instead of the current "NEWWindows7" or should I just leave it alone?
well sounds like it works. that was easy huh? :D
in the general settings in VirtualBox you can change the name but don't try and rename anything else. Like the .vdi or ANYTHING. If you right click on the C: drive and choose properties it should tell you if it's 25GB or still 10GB. You might have to restart the guest to see the change.