Bridged Networking error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
imadb

Bridged Networking error

Post by imadb »

It is impossible to set up bridge networking in OSX Mavericks. the guest does not get connection, this problem annihilates the value of Virtualbox since there is no virtualisation without the ability to use fixed ips.

Any ideas on how or when this problem is going to be solved?
rpmurray
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7, Mac OS X (various flavors)

Re: Bridged Networking error

Post by rpmurray »

I'm not seeing this in my guests running under Mavericks so there is no problem to be solved other than you fixing whatever is wrong with your configuration. Perhaps if you attached a copy of your latest VB log file (compressed as a zip file) to your next post it might help the forum members in diagnosing your problem.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

imadb wrote:It is impossible to set up bridge networking in OSX Mavericks.
"impossible" is such an absolute term. My guests work in bridged mode. OSX 10.9.2

to be fair, there does seem to be a problem with certain routers and perhaps Apple laptops.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

after doing some research I may have found a possible issue. the latest Apple laptops support 802.11ac and many routers can't deal with those speeds. there is also the issue that later Apple Wi-Fi connections default to wideband and again, can be a problem for older routers. It can be changed in the Mac network settings and/or the router but it is too long and involved for me to type out. it's not a VirtualBox issue per se. Although I don't know if a guest can deal with 1.3Gbps Wi-Fi speeds.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.