Return from Scaled mode to Full Screen Mode

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Khourshed

Return from Scaled mode to Full Screen Mode

Post by Khourshed »

Hi!
I am using VB for Mac, Guest os Win 8.1

After updating VB to latest version, sometimes combination of HOST+C switches guest os to scaled mode which is really irritating.
Window removes to upper left corner of mac desktop and I couldn't find any way to switch it back to FullScreen mode or even resize it. I can't move it on the desktop.

The only way to get back to fullscreen mode is to stop VM and run it again, resetting screen resolution properties.

Could you advice any solution to avoid such behaviour? Or may be even to disable switching to scaled mode, because ppl often use HOST+C as combination of copying text, thinking that they are working in MAC OS, not Win.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Return from Scaled mode to Full Screen Mode

Post by socratis »

Khourshed wrote:sometimes combination of HOST+C switches guest os to scaled mode
It's supposed to happen always, not just sometimes.
Khourshed wrote:Window removes to upper left corner of mac desktop
I'm not sure what to make of this. Can you post a screenshot of your Mac desktop with the guest as well?
Khourshed wrote:stop VM and run it again, resetting screen resolution properties
How exactly do you reset the screen resolution?
Khourshed wrote:ppl often use HOST+C as combination of copying text
Have you thought of changing the host key? For example, I've changed mine by going to VirtualBox, Preferences, Input, Virtual Machine, Host Key Combination: Right ⌥.
HostKeyCombination.png
HostKeyCombination.png (61.83 KiB) Viewed 47742 times
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
moseylevy

Post by moseylevy »

i have the same issue. very irritating.
when resuming a vm that was in full screen,
it will only take up the top left quarter of the screen, on the mac, but also on the windows side will only show top left corner of desktop.
the other quarters of the screen just show the mac desktop.

you need to quit completely out of virtual box,
then start again and it will hopefully resume in scaled mode instead of full screen.
then after that i goto full screen again.
aardvarkf

Post by aardvarkf »

I was also having the same issue. I'm running VirtualBox 4.3.10 on Mac OX 10.9.2 host with Windows 7. I installed the Guest Addition (had to do it twice b/c initial install had a problem) and then quit VirtualBox (Power off Machine) and then started it up again. It seemed to fix the issue.
-------
Ok, I spoke too soon. After saving the machine state, upon returning I can't toggle to full screen. It's stuck in that same weird mode like everyone else is reporting.
Last edited by aardvarkf on 14. Apr 2014, 21:29, edited 1 time in total.
Khourshed

Post by Khourshed »

I'm not sure what to make of this. Can you post a screenshot of your Mac desktop with the guest as well?
How exactly do you reset the screen resolution?
Right mouse click in win, change resolution.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Could you post a VBox.log zipped? And your <YourVirtualMachine>.vbox (also zipped). Also, since you change the resolution in the guest, why can't you change it when this happens and you have to shutdown?

@moseylevy
Is this the same problem that you're seeing as well? It seems a little different based on your description. Could you post a screenshot, VBox.log and <YourVirtualMachine>.vbox? The last two ones zipped.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

There is some strange behavior in OSX 10.9* with Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 guests and scaled mode. In Windows 7, when you hit Host+C, the window scales down but the Window's desktop remains the same. In Windows 8.1 the window actually increases vertically in size and the desktop remains the same.

On the other hand, with Linux guests without OpenGL, (haven't checked one such as Ubuntu running Compiz etc.), it does what I would expect, the window reduces in size and the desktop scales down to match.

As far as how to get out of what happens when you accidentally hit Host+C, just hit Host+C again and it should toggle back to normal.

I only have iMacs I can check so a Mac with a Retina display may behave differently. I also haven't checked versions of OSX < 10.9 although I can later.

edit: added a screenshot to show what I said.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 9.12.28 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 9.12.28 AM.jpg (94.22 KiB) Viewed 47676 times
Last edited by loukingjr on 12. Apr 2014, 15:40, edited 2 times in total.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I forgot to mention no guest retains it's aspect ratio although they are supposed to. all three guests were originally 1920x1080. (16:9)
Khourshed

Post by Khourshed »

socratis wrote:Could you post a VBox.log zipped? And your <YourVirtualMachine>.vbox (also zipped). Also, since you change the resolution in the guest, why can't you change it when this happens and you have to shutdown?
Ok, changed host key to right, just to stop irritating myself by freezing in scaled mode.

Way to stuck in scaled mode:
1. Press HOST+C in fullscreen mode
2. press cancel in a modal window which tells you that you are about to switch to scaled mode
3. You are stuck in scaled mode

Way to resolve
1.Stop virtual machine
2. start virtual machine and you are in normal mode
3. Switch to FullScreen . You are in FS mode with a little display resolution.
4. Change display resolution to max.

Changing screen resolution when you stuck in scaled mode (after pressing cancel) results to no changes...

Logs attached.
Attachments
VBox.zip
(15.77 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
chefwear

Post by chefwear »

I'm having the exact same problem. I did not have this issue in the recent past. I've also noticed that the full screen VM is not contained in one of OSX's "desktops" in Mission Control, which I believe is different from previous, working behavior. Instead, the VM shows as its own screen in between my two desktops. I would post a picture but this forum has very odd rules for first time posters.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

chefwear wrote:I'm having the exact same problem. I did not have this issue in the recent past. I've also noticed that the full screen VM is not contained in one of OSX's "desktops" in Mission Control, which I believe is different from previous, working behavior. Instead, the VM shows as its own screen in between my two desktops. I would post a picture but this forum has very odd rules for first time posters.
you can attach a screenshot as long as it's no larger than 128k.
Uberware

Post by Uberware »

I am having the same issue, VirtualBox 4.3.10 on OS-X 10.9.2. If the guest machine is in "fullscreen" mode when I save its state, then when I restore that VM later, most of the time (but not always) it shows up only covering the top-left corner of the screen, stuck in this semi-fullscreen mode. For me to resolve I have to choose View > Switch to Full Screen, which has no effect visibly but seems to change the setting internally, then close the VM and save the state. When I then restore the machine again, it will restore in normal mode, and I can then switch back to full screen mode correctly.

The problem seems to be in the full screen code itself, and it seems to get "stuck" somehow. This is a very annoying issue and happens with both Windows 7 guest OS and CentOS 6 guest OS. The problem is inconsistent: it happens about 75% of the time if I save the machine in the full screen state. Never seems to happen if I save the machine in a windowed state. I haven't tried the Seamless mode. When it happens, all of the view commands have no effect on display of the VM and the Fullscreen mode check box never seems to go away, but as I mentioned above, the state seems to be saved in the machine settings when I close and restart it.

Thanks,
-robin
vds

Post by vds »

This is BEYOND frustrating.
I edited my host key to be control-alt/option to match Parallels but there seems to be no way to save that setting. Am I missing something ?
Last edited by vds on 7. May 2014, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Once you change the settings press enter before you close the window.
vds

Post by vds »

sigh (and doh!)
thanks....