Virtualbox crashes when accessing Settings for VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
cseidel

Virtualbox crashes when accessing Settings for VM

Post by cseidel »

Hello Virtualbox-Community,

iam very pleased with the software. But i have a big issue since today.
I wanted to import an appliance. Unfortunatly the Mac (Macbook Pro Late 2013 current Mavericks version) crashed with a kernel panic (grey screen).
After restarting iam unable to access the settings page for any virtual machine. VirtualBox crashes every time. Even if i import a new appliance.
I should mention that iam able to start/stop all virtual machines. Only the settings iam unable to change.
I tried to reinstall the version from the dmg-file (current version 4.3.10), but no change at all.
Is there any corrupt config file i need to delete? Any suggestions to repair my virtualbox installation?

Thanks in advance,
Christian Seidel
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox crashes when accessing Settings for VM

Post by socratis »

These are the steps for complete removal and re-installation of VirtualBox.
  • Mount the "VirtualBox-4.3.10-93012-OSX" file.
  • Run the "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool".
  • Rename the "/Users/<YourUserName>/Library/VirtualBox" folder to something else (i.e. "VirtualBox-old").
  • Double-click on the "VirtualBox.pkg".
  • Install the extension pack if you want to.
  • Add your Virtual Machines by either double-clicking on your "<VM>.vbox" files (located typically in "/Users/<YourUserName>/VirtualBox VMs") or using the "Add..." menu.
If you want to find out what might have gone wrong, compare the "/Users/<YourUserName>/Library/VirtualBox" and "/Users/<YourUserName>/Library/VirtualBox-old" folders.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.