Windows guest using host's Airport

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
gregwx

Windows guest using host's Airport

Post by gregwx »

So, I have a Mac running Mavericks and Virtualbox 4.3.10. The guest OS is Windows 8.1.

I am trying to get a bridged connection to the host's wifi. Specifically, I can't use a NATted connection -- the host's connectivity comes in via a wired connection, but I need the guest OS to connect to a wifi test network that we have that is completely separate from the wired network. The host doesn't use the wifi at all, and I am wanting the guest to have exclusive use of that resource.

My attempts to bridge them haven't been successful, it keeps seeing the connection as wired and doesn't allow me to select the SSID. Is what I am attempting possible?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows guest using host's Airport

Post by mpack »

Regardless of network mode, the guest always sees the wired NIC configured in the VM settings. That usually isn't a problem. I don't know about Macs, but on Windows hosts the host can't use the connection if the TCP/IP option is unchecked in the host NICs properties. The guest provides its own TCP/IP stack and hence this doesn't stop the guest from working.

And note as a separate issue: bridging does not always work with wireless NICs.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows guest using host's Airport

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure if this is going to work, but (in line with what mpack said about Windows), go to System Preferences, Network, Airport, Advanced..., TCP/IP, Configure IPv4 -> Off. That should make the hardware available, but your Mac's TCP/IP inactive. If this doesn't work, try it with a Manual setting, which should be something valid but non existent, i.e. 192.168.234.234.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.