Guest Additions on Ubuntu

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
malandro95

Guest Additions on Ubuntu

Post by malandro95 »

Does anyone get guest additions to work on Ubuntu using Mac OS X as a host? The mouse cursor seems to work okay, but I am expecting the screen size to change when I resize the VBox window, which consistently does not work.

I have tried with 7.10 and 8.04 and found similar results with each.

At least with 7.10 I can change the screen resolution without editing any config files. 8.04 gives me the default (read crappy) resolution with no options available for switching.
malandro95

A little more info

Post by malandro95 »

Let me add that I was able to successfully install guest additions. At least it said it was successful.

Also, the Auto-resize Guest Display option is enabled and checked.
malandro95

Timing....

Post by malandro95 »

So, there's a new version today, eh? What great timing! I'm just going to sit back and think that the reason for your new version today was to satisfy my request. For that, I am grateful.

After upgrading to 1.6 and re-installing guest additions, I can now resize the guest window.

Also, for the 30 seconds that I used it, seamless mode was impressive.
JonRichardson

Where to get Guest Additions?

Post by JonRichardson »

I've just installed VirtualBox 1.6 on OSX Leopard and set up an Ubuntu 8.0x guest. So far so good.

Please could you tell me where I find the Guest Additions? Is this an additional download, or have I already got it without knowing where it is?

Excuse a rather basic question from a new user.

Thanks.

Jon
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

Use "Devices->Install Guest Additions" from the Menu. The guest additions are mounted as a CD-ROM.
For further information about how to proceed have a look at chapter 4.3 of the User Manual.
JonRichardson

Post by JonRichardson »

Many thanks. Now installed and working fine.

Thanks again.