thin screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
istoOi

thin screen

Post by istoOi »

i have a strange problem with my Win7 Pro guest. the screen is very thin and ther is no login field. its not possible to incrase the screensize.
if i start widnwos in safe mode or if i deinstall guest additions, i get a normal screen.

i tryed to update to the latest vbox version (4.3.8. r92456), reinstall guest aditions, change graphic settings of vm, but nothing helps.

any ideas?
Attachments
screenshot
screenshot
screenshot.png (119.86 KiB) Viewed 6382 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: thin screen

Post by mpack »

It sounds like something has configured the guest with a silly display size. None of the reinstallation steps you tried will affect the guest OS registry, which is where this info is stored. Have you tried just dragging the window border to a new size?
istoOi

Post by istoOi »

As you can see in the image. I already resized the window but nothing happens to the windows screen.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The image shows a squeezed window, it doesn't show how it got that way.

Try toggling auto-resize (<host>+G), and resize by dragging the window border again.
istoOi

Post by istoOi »

Scale mode was off. Resizing the window has no effect to the windows screen. Scale mode looks like this (see image)
Attachments
scale.png
scale.png (114.01 KiB) Viewed 6340 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Excellent - but I didn't ask you to test scale mode. I'd be more interested in the result of testing auto-resize, as I asked.
istoOi

Post by istoOi »

sry, misunderstood

auto scale is "on" and its greyed under "View". Can't disable it with menu or host+g
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You might like to keep an eye on this other thread.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

auto scale is "on" and its greyed under "View". Can't disable it with menu or host+g
This is probably due to the fact that you are at the log on screen and the Guest Addition drivers have not been loaded.

Have you tried to boot into safe mode ?
istoOi

Post by istoOi »

yes, i can boot in safe mode and have access to the machine. It seems that guest editions are not loaded in safe mode and i still can't toggle the auto resize
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

The toggle is not the question, as you say the additions are not loaded in safe mode.
What I would suggest is that you remove the guest additions while in safe mode and reboot the guest. This will force Windows to rest the screen resolution to a regular size.
If that works then you can install the guest additions again in normal mode and your issue should be resolved.
istoOi

Post by istoOi »

Boot in safe mode -> Screen OK
Deinstall Guest editions in safe mode and reboot in normal mode to finish the desintallation -> Screen Ok
Reboot -> Screen OK
Installing the Guest editions and reboot -> Screen broken again.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I have one final suggestion. Prior to the final step of installing the Guest Additions, change the display size in the guest, then reboot the guest. The point is to get Windows to update the display size setting in the registry, in normal mode.

I had a hunt around on Friday to see if the registry can be manually tweaked, but there doesn't seem to be a standard location for the display driver settings. It may depend on the individual driver.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

One other thing you could try is setting windows to auto login. That way you could get to the desktop and change the display settings by right clicking on the desktop. I have a Windows 7 Professional guest running in VirtualBox 4.38 on a Mac running 10.9.2 and it's working fine. My thought is the install is corrupted.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
istoOi

Post by istoOi »

YAY

-Boot in safe mode
-Deinstall Guest editions in safe mode and reboot in normal mode to finish the desintallation
-Reboot
-Change screen resolution
-Drag window to different size
-Shutdown + Start
-Delete C:\Program Files\Oracle
-Delete %TEMP%
-Installing the Guest editions and reboot

It Works!
thx