Bridged Adapter en3 Thunderbolt Ethernet cannot obtain IP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
sshak

Bridged Adapter en3 Thunderbolt Ethernet cannot obtain IP

Post by sshak »

I found several similar posts, but none that addressed my specific issue. Facts first:

1) Host - Hardware: MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch, Late 2013, OS: Mavericks 10.9.2
2) Guest OS: Windows 7
3) Virtualbox: Version 4.3.8 r92456; extension pack 4.3.8 - 92456

Problem:

I am able to attach to a bridged adapter using en0: Wi-Fi, but I can't connect using a bridged adapter to en3: Thunderbolt Ethernet. NAT works fine, but my problem is that I need to VPN from the guest and I have only been able to get that to work using a bridged adapter. So basically I can connect to VPN using a bridged Wi-Fi connection, but cannot get the bridged ethernet connection (via apple thunderbolt-ethernet adapter) to work. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bridged Adapter en3 Thunderbolt Ethernet cannot obtain I

Post by socratis »

The Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter is a peripheral. VirtualBox does not talk to Thunderbolt peripherals, only USB ones and even that with some restrictions (no USB 3.0 support for example).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sshak

Post by sshak »

Thanks for the quick response. So basically there is no way to do bridged ethernet on new MacBooks and in my case no way to VPN using ethernet.
crh

Post by crh »

Bridged ethernet works fine with my Apple Thunderbolt ethernet adapter. I was using it earlier today to connect to my test network. I have the opposite problem. VirtualBox will not work with the WiFi interface en0 (Late 2013 MBP 13")
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I understand USB to Ethernet adapters work.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mliedtke

Post by mliedtke »

Hi, I'm having the sam issue that CRH is having. I got a 15" retina MBP (late 2013) last week and neither my ubuntu or win 7 VM's can connect using a bridged adapter over wifi but they both work fine over the tunderbolt enternet. Both of the VM's obtain an IP address from my router but they have no network activity (inbound or outbound). I've spent at least 6 hrs over the last 2 days and have come up with nothing. If I use NAT it works, but I need to use bridged so that I can access my webserver from both mac and windows. I've also set up a new Ubuntu VM and have the same issue. If anyone has any ideas of where to go, it would be greatly appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Read the following thread: Bridged networking not working with wifi (mavericks). After reading the whole thread, you'll find out that bridged over WiFi is finicky. There is a link in some posts that takes you to another thread with known combinations of adapters/WiFi routers that work/may work/fail. The list in not complete, so add your information as well...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Or you could read the Section 6.5 of the User Manual which explains the limitations and how the bridging over Wireless works, which implies it may or may not work, depending on how the firmware and drivers of the card are made.
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!