Mavericks - use 4.2.18

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
brycesteiner
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Mavericks - use 4.2.18

Post by brycesteiner »

If you're like me you upgraded to Mavericks and VB 4.3 at the same time. I was fighting it all day yesterday and the speed was terrible. After looking at the forums and other people having issues before 10.9.0 was available, problems with virtualbox wasn't Mavericks (which I thought all day it was) it was with 4.3 it seems.
I used the 4.3 uninstall tool (which won't remove your VM's) and installed 4.2.18 along with the guests on all and so far - no more crashing, no more errors. Menus and network access on the guests are back to full speed on all the machines.
It's giving me hope.
seancoyne

Re: Mavericks - use 4.2.18

Post by seancoyne »

In my experience, simply running the 4.3 uninstall tool then re-installing 4.3 results in the same. No crashes, no errors. No need to go back to 4.2.18.
Hanz

Post by Hanz »

I uninstalled VB 4.3 using the uninstaller, restarted, and reinstalled and I am still getting glitches in 4.3. It has started giving me graphic anomalies as well. I think I may try going back to 4.2 and see if it makes any difference.
brycesteiner

Post by brycesteiner »

seancoyne wrote:In my experience, simply running the 4.3 uninstall tool then re-installing 4.3 results in the same. No crashes, no errors. No need to go back to 4.2.18.
I uninstalled 4.3 and reinstalled 4.3 but I still had several guest crashes on 3 of 4 of my Macs (other Mac I didn't attempt to upgrade). The screen refresh and network was much slower in 4.3. Indesign and Photoshop CS2 where terrible. Switching back fixed all of that.
brycesteiner

Post by brycesteiner »

Hanz wrote:I uninstalled VB 4.3 using the uninstaller, restarted, and reinstalled and I am still getting glitches in 4.3. It has started giving me graphic anomalies as well. I think I may try going back to 4.2 and see if it makes any difference.
It did for me. My employees are saying it's much better.
ulkesh

Post by ulkesh »

Downgrading to 4.2.18, for me, didn't solve the issue shown in the "Virtualbox let Mavericks can't shutdown" thread (I can't post URLs yet, sorry).

I still get a zombie VM after shutting it down and it stops my machine from being able to be shut down.
ajmaq

Post by ajmaq »

brycesteiner wrote:If you're like me you upgraded to Mavericks and VB 4.3 at the same time. I was fighting it all day yesterday and the speed was terrible. After looking at the forums and other people having issues before 10.9.0 was available, problems with virtualbox wasn't Mavericks (which I thought all day it was) it was with 4.3 it seems.
I used the 4.3 uninstall tool (which won't remove your VM's) and installed 4.2.18 along with the guests on all and so far - no more crashing, no more errors. Menus and network access on the guests are back to full speed on all the machines.
It's giving me hope.

Tell me honestly... if I use the 4.2.18 instead of 4.3 on Mavericks , it will work?.... no problems and crashes?

I really need to confirm , I already lost a lot of time dealing with this problem so far.

Thanks!
brycesteiner

Post by brycesteiner »

All I can say is I hope so. It's been working here, BUT we tried to play Medal of Honor on XP and it plays fine, but it won't boot if Bridged Network is used it must be NAT. So far that is what I am having an issue with. I am still frustrated, but it is much faster and more reliable than 4.3
Kitch

Post by Kitch »

I tried downgrading to 4.2.18 but it did not resolve the title bar issues that I have been seeing. It's worth noting that I only have the title bar problem on my retina mbp.
Richard35

Post by Richard35 »

For me the same. Installed Mavericks and upgraded Virtualbox to 4.3 and Windows XP was running dead slow. Downgraded Virtualbox tot 4.2.18 and the speed was normal again. I'll wait with upgrading to a newer version until this issue is fixed.
ajmaq

Post by ajmaq »

Excelent... VB 4.2.18 is working fine on Mavericks.... until now i already installed WIN servers and win 7 ... no problems!
ajmaq

Post by ajmaq »

brycesteiner wrote:All I can say is I hope so. It's been working here, BUT we tried to play Medal of Honor on XP and it plays fine, but it won't boot if Bridged Network is used it must be NAT. So far that is what I am having an issue with. I am still frustrated, but it is much faster and more reliable than 4.3
Thanks ... it really works!... I lost all the info , i will start over again without worries now.