Virtualbox let Mavericks can't shutdown

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ChrisJenkins
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux x64, Win 7 x64

Re: Virtualbox let Mavericks can't shutdown

Post by ChrisJenkins »

I will open up a ticket and as a developer myself I am fully aware of the processes. However, when you need things to just work, its just sometimes better to get your cash out and stop wasting your time.
That is of course your prerogative, but as a developer I would have hoped you would consider helping the VB developers identify and resolve the problem rather than just posting implying that they have just not done anything about it and do not do proper testing :) I have found the VirtualBox development team to be generally responsive when presented with evidence of a problem and the associated diagnostics.

I have been running Mavericks since 10.9.0 and am currently on 10.9.4 and I have used all VirtualBox 4.3 versions through to the current 4.3.14 on Mavericks. I experience the problem severely in early 4.3.x VB versions but the issue was resolved around 4.3.6 or so I believe (I cannot recall exactly). One point to note - if you just install the new version of VirtualBox over the old one (what most of us tend to do) then it is possible that the kernel extensions do not get upgraded properly. I have seen this happen myself. I would recommend that you try the following, if you have not already done so:

1. Uninstall VirtualBox completely using the uninstall script that is part of the installer disk image.
2. Reboot your machine.
3. Re-install VirtualBox 4.2.14 and the extension pack (if you use it).

You may well find that this fixes your problem. If not then opening a ticket is the best way to get this fixed for yourself and anyone else who is still experiencing this very annoying problem.
nphilly

Post by nphilly »

loukingjr wrote:well, ciao then. Although I do think everyone lives in a world where time can mean money. I'm still wondering why someone would want to restart their host with VM's still running.
LOL I just couldn't resist responding to this one. Who would want to do that? The point is, the VMs won't quit you muppet. You obviously didn't read what I wrote in the first place:
nphilly wrote:VirtualBox still fails to quit a VM correctly (i.e, it sits in the dock, meaning that if I power on and power off the same VM multiple times, I end up with multiple hanging instances of VirtualBox sitting in the dock). It also means I have to power off my Mac in order to restart as it is impossible to force quit these processes after trying every suggested method in this thread!
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Actually I read what you wrote. And as I said, I don't have that issue. Nor does Chris apparently. There are a myriad number of reasons something may do something on your computer that doesn't occur on others. Third party software that conflicts for example. Caches that become corrupted, etc.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

ChrisJenkins wrote:One point to note - if you just install the new version of VirtualBox over the old one (what most of us tend to do) then it is possible that the kernel extensions do not get upgraded properly. I have seen this happen myself. I would recommend that you try the following, if you have not already done so:

1. Uninstall VirtualBox completely using the uninstall script that is part of the installer disk image.
2. Reboot your machine.
3. Re-install VirtualBox 4.3.14 and the extension pack (if you use it).

You may well find that this fixes your problem. If not then opening a ticket is the best way to get this fixed for yourself and anyone else who is still experiencing this very annoying problem.
Not to belabor the point but Chris is right. You should always use the uninstall tool. I found out the hard way myself.
nphilly

Post by nphilly »

loukingjr wrote:
ChrisJenkins wrote:One point to note - if you just install the new version of VirtualBox over the old one (what most of us tend to do) then it is possible that the kernel extensions do not get upgraded properly. I have seen this happen myself. I would recommend that you try the following, if you have not already done so:

2. Reboot your machine.
3. Re-install VirtualBox 4.3.14 and the extension pack (if you use it).

Not to belabor the point but Chris is right. You should always use the uninstall tool. I found out the hard way myself.

Yes Chris is right, however, I have established why this did not work for me, as I had done this before.
Running the uninstaller was not enough and it complained that it could not remove everything because some kind of extension was in use.
In order to get a clean uninstallation, I had to boot into safe mode, run the uninstaller. Then run a clean install from scratch. I will not hold my breath but it seems to be working correctly now.

Point being, upgrade process could be a lot better.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

nphilly wrote: Running the uninstaller was not enough and it complained that it could not remove everything because some kind of extension was in use.
In order to get a clean uninstallation, I had to boot into safe mode, run the uninstaller. Then run a clean install from scratch. I will not hold my breath but it seems to be working correctly now.

Point being, upgrade process could be a lot better.
As I said, third party software conflict. Glad you have it working.

Yours Truly,
the Muppet.
nphilly

Post by nphilly »

Well despite all of this. After a full uninstall in safe mode, removal off all my settings and a clean install. I end up with the same problem that prevents me from being able to restart. Thought the clean install had done the trick.

As you can see I have no VM's actually running, yet there is a hung VM sitting in the dock.

Think I may fire off that issue to the devs.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Okay, first of all what you are seeing is not a hung VM. But it is a hung process. Checking Activity Monitor I see this…

Code: Select all

/
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxSVC
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxDDU.dylib
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxRT.dylib
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxXPCOM.dylib
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.dylib
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/components/VBoxXPCOMIPCC.dylib
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHALPlugIn.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDAHALPlugIn
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/darwin.amd64/VBoxHostWebcam.dylib
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/Hear.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Hear
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxVMM.dylib
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxREM.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMediaIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/VDC.plugin/Contents/MacOS/VDC
/private/var/folders/4b/7ft4jsln233876f48w34btzh0000gn/C/com.apple.LaunchServices-044501.csstore
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_x86_64
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS
/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/components
/Users/louis/Library/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log
count=2, state=0x2
->0x1e7644a810256c51
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc
->0x1e7644a80d3f18e1
->0x1e7644a80d3f1a41
/dev/urandom
/dev/vboxdrvu
->(none)
On my system however, once I quit VirtualBox it is no longer hung and both icons leave the dock. Even if I don't close VirtualBox I can still Restart.
The first thing I see is you have multiple programs open at the same time. Eight that I can see from your shot. Three of which I don't recognize. The two on the right and the yellow O. You could be getting hung because of low memory. It could also be another 3rd party app that loads in the background. Try running VirtualBox without any other programs loaded and see if you can restart. btw, you have 275 pieces of unread mail. :wink:
KelvinKelvin

Post by KelvinKelvin »

I just installed Maverick and VB 4.3.2, I was facing the exact problem as the reported problem by the OP and several others at the beginning of this thread.

Reading through this more than one year old thread, i've seen some complex workaround solutions but one thing for sure, i am still on the same OS and VB versions and the resolution is fairly simple.

My requirement is i need host only adapter, i don't need NAT or Bridged.

Solution : in Preferences-Network-Host-only Networks in the VirtualBox host application, instead of creating an host only adapter with the name vboxnet0 , create a new one vboxnet1 . Then , delete the vboxnet0 adapter, leaving you only with vboxnet1. In your client images, use vboxnet1 .

That's it. The reported problem in OP won't reappear again as long as your host only adapter name is not vboxnet0.
mille1j

Post by mille1j »

This works nicely for me:
VBoxManage setextradata <VBOXNAME> GUI/DefaultCloseAction Shutdown

Now, when i logout of OSX, VirtualBox shuts the guest down without any prompting and logout proceeds smoothly (unless office or postbox gloms things up)