Virtualbox let Mavericks can't shutdown

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
inistor

Re: Virtualbox let Mavericks can't shutdown

Post by inistor »

Hi,

VirtualBox 4.3.4 fixed this issue (see issue #12241), although there are some user still reporting it.

Ion
ChrisJenkins
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux x64, Win 7 x64

Post by ChrisJenkins »

4.3.4 fixed it for me, but it is important to upgrade to 4.3.4 'properly'.

1. Run the VBox 'uninstall' script to uninstall the current version.

2. Reboot.

3. Install the new (4.3.4) version.

If you do not do this you may be okay (most of the time) but you could (occasionally) end up with old kernel extensions still loaded/installed.

Chris
ConcertoGR

Post by ConcertoGR »

VB 4.3.4 may fix some issues, but not all.
I have Mavericks on a MBP purchased in 01/13, vb4.3.4 installed 'properly' (previous post). My guest is OEL6 (without dkms, but that is probably a different issue). Guest Additions installed with only a GL lib compile error.

I deleted the vboxnet0 interface. None of my guests use it.
All my guest connections are configured as virtio(sp?) - the 'preferred' driver per 4.3.4 Docs.

Since my host hardware is a laptop, sometimes I'm on wireless, sometimes I have a wire, so I have both eth0 and eth1 configured in my guest, both bridged, both 'cable connected'.
When I start and log into my guest, the network connect icon shows spinning red arrows - indicating an attempt to connect to the host interface NOT connected (if my current host is wireless, eth0 cannot connect and vice versa).
When I shutdown the guest under these circumstances, the vb icon remains in the dock, Mavericks will not shutdown without using 'shutdown -h now' in Terminal.

IF, before starting my guest, I go into the guest configuration and uncheck 'cable connected', the spinning red arrows do not appear, and the icon does not remain in the dock. I can shutdown Mavericks without issue.

The problem could be in OEL6, in VB, or in Mavericks - or could be a 'perfect storm' combination of issues in their interaction. I believe, however, my experience may provide a workaround to others, like me, who have multiple interfaces configured to handle varying operating environments - sometimes on a wire, sometimes wireless.

So, to repeat, before starting a guest with both eth0 and eth1 configured, go to settings -> network -> adapter[n] -> advanced and uncheck 'cable connected' where [n] is the interface that is NOT connected.
mohamedhafez

Post by mohamedhafez »

Has ConcertoGR's issue been resolved in the recent 4.3.6 release?
hago

Post by hago »

with 4.3.6 on maverick host, my xp guest can shut down while my ubuntu 13.04 guest leaves an icon on dock after shutdown and still prevents shutdown of host. any ideas?
btw, I have tried uninstall/reinstall and reset network interfaces.
nphilly

Post by nphilly »

This is getting really frustrating now. I saw many users report this issue last year when Mavericks was released and still, even with the latest version, VirtualBox on Mavericks prevents your system from restarting.

Why have they not addressed this issue?

VirtualBox still fails to quit a VM correctly (i.e, it sits in the dock, meaning that if I power on and power off the same VM multiple times, I end up with multiple hanging instances of VirtualBox sitting in the dock). It also means I have to power off my Mac in order to restart as it is impossible to force quit these processes after trying every suggested method in this thread!

I am running VirtualBox 4.3.12 r93733
When are the developers going to pay attention and do some real testing?

This is when I get my cash out and pay for VMWare or Parallels, at least the support team will hear me cry
ChrisJenkins

Post by ChrisJenkins »

The original problem causing this was fixed several releases ago and most people no longer experience this issue. For example, I had the issue when Mavericks was first released but I am running VirtualBox on Mavericks and use it daily, with multiple VMs and I no longer have have the issue. So, if you are experiencing this issue it is likely due to a different cause but with similar symptoms. Probably best to open a new thread and/or log a ticket with VirtualBox folk.
nphilly

Post by nphilly »

ChrisJenkins wrote:The original problem causing this was fixed several releases ago and most people no longer experience this issue. For example, I had the issue when Mavericks was first released but I am running VirtualBox on Mavericks and use it daily, with multiple VMs and I no longer have have the issue. So, if you are experiencing this issue it is likely due to a different cause but with similar symptoms. Probably best to open a new thread and/or log a ticket with VirtualBox folk.
If I remember correctly, this was problem with using bridged connections, it is sometimes intermittent but almost happens every time I have been running a VM for a few hours or more. I run all of my Linux VM's with bridged connections for various reasons. Maybe the problem went away for others, or people decided to put up with it, like me. EIther way, its still a problem.

I have also installed the latest version of Mavericks 10.9.4 so I am going to rule out issues with OSX.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

nphilly wrote:This is getting really frustrating now. I saw many users report this issue last year when Mavericks was released and still, even with the latest version, VirtualBox on Mavericks prevents your system from restarting.

Why have they not addressed this issue?…
I do not have the issue you describe. Not on 4.3.12 or 4.3.14. Running OSX 10.9.4
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
ChrisJenkins

Post by ChrisJenkins »

If I remember correctly, this was problem with using bridged connections, it is sometimes intermittent but almost happens every time I have been running a VM for a few hours or more. I run all of my Linux VM's with bridged connections for various reasons. Maybe the problem went away for others, or people decided to put up with it, like me. EIther way, its still a problem.
The problem originally manifest itself with Host-only networks (not bridged networks). I run multiple host only networks and also some VMs with bridged networks and I do not see this problem. As I said, open a ticket and then the devs can gather diagnostic info to help them identify the problem so it can be fixed. I am sure that if this problem was showing up in the Virtual;Box QA then it would have been fixed by now but if the devs cannot reproduce the problem then they cannot fix it...
nphilly

Post by nphilly »

ChrisJenkins wrote:The problem originally manifest itself with Host-only networks (not bridged networks). I run multiple host only networks and also some VMs with bridged networks and I do not see this problem. As I said, open a ticket and then the devs can gather diagnostic info to help them identify the problem so it can be fixed. I am sure that if this problem was showing up in the Virtual;Box QA then it would have been fixed by now but if the devs cannot reproduce the problem then they cannot fix it...
I will open up a ticket and as a developer myself I am fully aware of the processes. However, when you need things to just work, its just sometimes better to get your cash out and stop wasting your time.
nphilly

Post by nphilly »

loukingjr wrote:I do not have the issue you describe. Not on 4.3.12 or 4.3.14. Running OSX 10.9.4
That is very helpful
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

nphilly wrote:I will open up a ticket and as a developer myself I am fully aware of the processes. However, when you need things to just work, its just sometimes better to get your cash out and stop wasting your time.
And sometimes it's better to find out what the problem is rather than opening your wallet and wasting your money.
nphilly

Post by nphilly »

loukingjr wrote:And sometimes it's better to find out what the problem is rather than opening your wallet and wasting your money.
You obviously don't live in a world where time means money. Hence this being my last post in this thread.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

well, ciao then. Although I do think everyone lives in a world where time can mean money. I'm still wondering why someone would want to restart their host with VM's still running.