Virtualbox let Mavericks can't shutdown

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
F0ur
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos

Virtualbox let Mavericks can't shutdown

Post by F0ur »

VirtualBox version is 4.3.0
open it and running a VirtualBoxVM, then poweroff the VirtualboxVM, then close the VirtualBox
the VirtualBoxVM process is still running in Dock
force quit the VirtualBoxVM does not working
but my notebook can't shutdown,restart

open the terminal and type "ps aux|grep VirtualBoxVM" but nothing find

if i do it again, the VirtualBoxVM can quit correctly.

how to fix this problem?thanks all replies first.
neorf
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Re: Virtualbox let Mavericks can't shutdown

Post by neorf »

The same problem...
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

F0ur wrote:open the terminal and type "ps aux|grep VirtualBoxVM" but nothing find
Try "ps aux|grep Virtual" or "ps aux|grep VBox".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
F0ur
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos

Post by F0ur »

socratis wrote:
F0ur wrote:open the terminal and type "ps aux|grep VirtualBoxVM" but nothing find
Try "ps aux|grep Virtual" or "ps aux|grep VBox".
use "ps aux|grep Vir" , nothing expcet some vbox service such as VBoxNETDHCP
fromagique

Post by fromagique »

I also have this problem. I was able to shut down using the command line:

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -h now
Make sure you've already quit all other applications, because this will stop them without asking whether they've saved anything.

This is a really annoying problem--does anybody have any idea how to fix it?
Hanz

Post by Hanz »

This is a MAJOR problem with Mavericks!! According to roaring apps, Virtualbox 4.3 is compatible with Mavericks. Someone should correct that grevious error. There are several issues such as the shutdown problem in which the virtual machine hangs the shutdown process and you can't force quit. The virtual machines become inaccessible, issues with trying to delete one, and general bugginess. I wouldn't recommend running VB on Mavericks until this shutdown issue is at least fixed.

Aside from that - it won't quit even if you aren't trying to shutdown. The VM continues to run and it runs up the fans, CPU, etc. This is ridiculous!
neorf

Post by neorf »

since yesterday, almost every time, i've to shutdown my mac with:

Code: Select all

sudo shutdown -h now
:( :( :(
futuretuesday

Post by futuretuesday »

I encountered the same issue.

I have an Ubuntu server VM. It has NAT & Host Only networking. Shutting the VM down would lead to the zombie VirtualBoxVM dock icon that prevents shutdown. I eventually tried starting it headless, and the problem goes away. I can start it and shutdown numerous times without the dock icon problem.

I added a Windows 7 VM, and it does NOT cause the same problem. It only uses NAT networking.

I'm only pointing out the networking stuff because it seems like so many others are having problems with that.
Hanz

Post by Hanz »

Futuretuesday - I think you have hit on something. I have 2 interfaces that are bridged - wifi and ethernet. When I change the first interface to NAT, then the VM shuts down properly. The only issue is I NEED bridged networking.
Tito Alvarez

Post by Tito Alvarez »

I have only one NAT interface, still got the same problem. BTW I'm having the same problem on 2 Macs
fromagique

Post by fromagique »

I have discovered that (at least in my case) it is the host-only interface that is causing the vampire (undead) VM that prevents shutdown. If I enable vboxnet0 on an interface, it happens. If I disable it (no other changes to the VM,) it doesn't happen. I suspect that the new NAT network option may also trigger the problem--that's my next set of testing.
Tito Alvarez

Post by Tito Alvarez »

Correction on my previous statement. One of my VMs had a NAT (the new type) configured.
Leaving the regular NAT in all the VMs apparently fixes the problem.
fromagique

Post by fromagique »

OK, I've now determined that in my case, using a mid-2011 iMac and stock 10.9, a single active hardware network interface (built-in Airport Extreme, en1), running a newly-installed (post-10.9-installation) Xubuntu Linux 12.04 guest with guest additions and all default settings (no changes to the NetworkManager configuration), all network options on the VM work OK except the host-only interface. Any activation of vboxnet0 will cause the vampire VM to appear on shutdown. The NAT, Nat network, bridged, and internal options all allow normal shutdown. This includes the NAT network with IPv6 fully enabled and DHCP enabled. I do have real IPv6 connectivity on the hardware interface, in case it turns out that it matters. The only sharing service enabled in OS X is Remote Login (aka SSH). I wondered if there might be a problem with guests created before the move to 10.9, so I tried the same tests on a pre-existing Xubuntu 13.10 guest, and obtained the same results.

Hopefully this helps somebody out there decipher the problem or at least get a better handle on it.
rolandow

Post by rolandow »

I can't even restore my VM on Mavericks. I have to re-install VirtualBox each time I reboot my machine. I wish I never updated :-(
neorf

Post by neorf »

now i've disabled network for my VM, and it seems to work... i don't need network...