Enable Mouse-Capture?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Skela

Enable Mouse-Capture?

Post by Skela »

Although I realise this is a curious request in that most people will want to disable mouse-capture.
But a lot of different OS'es now support hot corners to initiate certain functionality, which doesn't work or is a bit hard to use
when the mouse can just be moved from the guest OS into the main OS without hitting the host key.

So I am asking if it's possible to Enable mouse capture in the guest OS.
And by that I mean, if I were to click my mouse on the guest OS, the mouse will be captured, and the only
way to leave is to click the host key.

I've tried to disable mouse integration but that results in the mouse becoming invisible when in the guest os.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.8.5 as the Host with a 64 bit Ubuntu 13.10 running as the guest.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Enable Mouse-Capture?

Post by socratis »

Skela wrote:I am asking if it's possible to Enable mouse capture in the guest OS.
And by that I mean, if I were to click my mouse on the guest OS, the mouse will be captured, and the only
way to leave is to click the host key.

I've tried to disable mouse integration but that results in the mouse becoming invisible when in the guest os.
I thought that the emphasized text would fix it. And then I tried it to verify it...

I'm on 10.6.8 host with an Ubuntu 12.04-32bit as a guest and I can confirm that the mouse pointer gets invisible. Actually it is even weirder. At the startup screen I disabled mouse integration (Host+I), captured pointer by the guest, logged in and ... I saw the mouse! But a couple of seconds later when my desktop appeared the mouse pointer vanished. I tried both in "Tablet" and "PS/2" configurations.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Skela

Post by Skela »

I can verify that this is still the case with Mac OS X 10.9 as the host and Ubuntu 13.10 as the guest.
Skela

Post by Skela »

I've been able to determine that the issue for me is caused by having "Enable 3D Acceleration" ticked.
If I switch it off, the cursor becomes visible when captured, but the performance of the whole VM is way too slow, stutters and is in general unusable.

So I'm stuck with mouse capture (and a visible cursor) AND utterly useless performance OR no mouse capture (and a visible cursor) and awesome performance.

Not an acceptable compromise if you ask me.

Does anyone know of a way to enable mouse capture, whilst keeping the 3D Acceleration enabled AND having a visible cursor?
Skela

Post by Skela »

Still a problem with Mac OS X 10.9.3 as the host and Ubuntu 14.04 as the guest (using virtualbox 4.3.12 r93733)
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

I wish I understood what this thread was about. If the guest additions are installed mouse integration works perfectly and has for at least the 5 years I've been using VirtualBox on umpteen Linux guests.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Skela

Post by Skela »

In essence I'm trying to figure out how to have 3D Acceleration enabled (which is found in Settings -> Display -> Video
and at the same time have mouse integration disabled (which is found in virtual box menu -> Machine -> Disable Mouse Integration.

Having both at the same time doesn't work for me.
Are you saying it works for you? I.e. do you have 3D Acceleration ON and Mouse-Integration Disabled?

I have guest additions installed, I have the latest Mac OS, latest Ubuntu and latest Virtualbox.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Skela wrote:In essence I'm trying to figure out how to have 3D Acceleration enabled (which is found in Settings -> Display -> Video
and at the same time have mouse integration disabled (which is found in virtual box menu -> Machine -> Disable Mouse Integration.

Having both at the same time doesn't work for me.
Are you saying it works for you? I.e. do you have 3D Acceleration ON and Mouse-Integration Disabled?

I have guest additions installed, I have the latest Mac OS, latest Ubuntu and latest Virtualbox.
yes I have 3D enabled and mouse integration enabled and among others, I have Lubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu 14.04 installed and the mouse capture works fine. As it always had.

I never tried it with mouse integration turned off. why would anyone want to do that?
Skela

Post by Skela »

Here's a screenshot of my setup. As soon as I let my mouse get captured when I have those settings, the mouse cursor disappears.
Attachments
Screenshot of Settings / Config
Screenshot of Settings / Config
Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 21.52.47.jpg (123 KiB) Viewed 59504 times
Skela

Post by Skela »

Can you try with the mouse-integration disabled? That's the whole point.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Skela wrote:Here's a screenshot of my setup. As soon as I let my mouse get captured when I have those settings, the mouse cursor disappears.
it looks like you are trying to change the settings while your guest is open? and why is your VM blank?
Skela

Post by Skela »

The reason for disabling mouse-integration is that among other things it interferes with Mac's Hot Corners and hot corners of the guest OS.
It also doesn't play nice a hidden dock on Mac and in the guest OS (assuming the guest OS has a dock).
Skela

Post by Skela »

loukingjr wrote:
Skela wrote:Here's a screenshot of my setup. As soon as I let my mouse get captured when I have those settings, the mouse cursor disappears.
it looks like you are trying to change the settings while your guest is open? and why is your VM blank?
No, I'm not trying to change those settings, I'm just trying to show people the exact switches / toggles I'm referring to.
Sorry, but what do you mean by my VM is blank?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

okay, with mouse integration disable...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 10.05.17 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 10.05.17 AM.png (117.04 KiB) Viewed 59496 times
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

if you mean it disappears when you try and take a snapshot? because I can see the cursor while I'm taking the shot. the built in snapshot feature in OSX just doesn't capture the cursor.