Windows 7 STOP: 0x0000007B Error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Kevin Yei

Windows 7 STOP: 0x0000007B Error

Post by Kevin Yei »

VirtualBox version 4.2.18
Host: Mac OS X 10.7.5
Guest: Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,
I just started trying to use VirtualBox today, and I haven't had very much success. I am currently running Windows 7 on a Bootcamp partition, and I'd like to be able to use it on my Mac partition. When I try to start Windows 7 from within VirtualBox, my screen always displays "Loading Windows Files..." before crashing to a BSOD with the following error: STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

I'm well aware that his issue has been brought up many times in the past. After scouring the forums on this site as well as others, I've found that the most common solution is to change the Controller Name from SATA to IDE, and that the problem can also be caused by either an error in the Chipset or the Controller Type. However, I've tried every possible permutation of Chipset and IDE Controller Type and the problem still remains. More specifically, I've tried the following settings to no avail:
PIIX3 Chipset, IDE PIIX3 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" checked
PIIX3 Chipset, IDE PIIX3 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" unchecked
PIIX3 Chipset, IDE PIIX4 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" checked
PIIX3 Chipset, IDE PIIX4 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" unchecked
PIIX3 Chipset, IDE ICH6 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" checked
PIIX3 Chipset, IDE ICH6 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" unchecked
ICH9 Chipset, IDE PIIX3 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" checked
ICH9 Chipset, IDE PIIX3 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" unchecked
ICH9 Chipset, IDE PIIX4 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" checked
ICH9 Chipset, IDE PIIX4 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" unchecked
ICH9 Chipset, IDE ICH6 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" checked
ICH9 Chipset, IDE ICH6 Controller, "Use host I/O cache" unchecked

I've attached my most recent Log File as a ZIP if it helps at all. I have been struggling with this all day and I really have no idea where to go from here. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated :)
Attachments
VirtualBox Log File.zip
(17.07 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 7 STOP: 0x0000007B Error

Post by mpack »

Ultimately, STOP 0x7B is a Windows error, so it's really Microsoft you should be approaching for support.

However...

As you have no doubt discovered, "Stop 0x7B" means "I can't find my boot disk!". There can be many reasons why it can't find the boot disk: the disk controller type change is one of them (it usually isn't necessary to play around with different IDE chipsets, PIIX4 should be fine - also "host I/O caching" isn't visible to the guest, only the host).

Other possibilities is that you didn't correctly reproduce the disk and partition map which Win7 sees when it boots up using BootCamp. I can't diagnose that problem remotely.

If it was me, I would just boot up using bootcamp. Image the drive using Disk2VHD, then practice building a working VM around the VHD. If nothing else you should be able to experiment for fixes to the VM issues without destroying the bootcamp image. One tip: never allow Win7 to reactivate until your experiments are all done.
Kevin Yei

Post by Kevin Yei »

Thank you for the response! I will try doing this, and if it doesn't work then I will just stick with using Windows through Bootcamp
p4keal

Post by p4keal »

That helped me:
Remove SATA controller and add an IDE controller instead.
Select PIIX4 as the type.
Good luck :wink:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

This doesn't belong to "OSX Hosts", but to "Windows Guests".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ERN

Post by ERN »

p4keal wrote:That helped me:
Remove SATA controller and add an IDE controller instead.
Select PIIX4 as the type.
Good luck :wink:
Works fine for me. Windows 7 with BSOD 0x0000007B. Replace PIIX3 SATA with PII4X IDE. That's do the trick. Thanks!