Details and Snapshots panel missing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
lmb

Details and Snapshots panel missing

Post by lmb »

If this has been addressed elsewhere, a link to the thread would be appreciated. I couldn't find anything by searching.

VB version 4.2.16
OSX 10.8.4

I had a panel on the right of VirtualBox Manager, and now I don't. Right clicking on the manager, both "Show Toolbar" and "Show Status Bar" are both checked. Unchecking/re-checking doesn't seem to have any effect on the right panel.

Now, I can only view details by going into settings for each VM, and I can't see, take, or revert to any of my snapshots. I'm sure there's a way to do these things outside the Manager, like via cli, but I'd really like my Manager GUI to actually work like it used to. Am I missing something here?
Attachments
vb.png
vb.png (45.35 KiB) Viewed 7427 times
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Details and Snapshots panel missing

Post by Perryg »

Find and edit the VirtualBox.xml file.
Find the line indicated below:

Code: Select all

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SplitterSizes" value="236,516"/>
Yours will have a different value so changing it to something close to what I show should get it back and you can then change the actual divider from the GUI when finished.

Note: Everything VirtualBox must be shut down for at least 30 seconds before you edit and I strongly suggest that you make a backup of the file before you edit it in case you make a mistake.
lmb

Post by lmb »

I gathered from some googling that the solution might be in that file, but I can't, for the life of me, find it. I found a file with that name in

/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_emulators_virtualbox/virtualbox/work/VirtualBox-4.2.12/src/VBox/Installer/common
but it looks nothing like the snippet you posted. I'm pretty sure that's left over from when I tried to install it via macports just to see if that would fix the problem.

I've searched and acked and everything else I know to do, and I'm not having any luck. Granted, I'm not terribly familiar with Mac (I hate it and prefer Linux), so maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there maybe some way to set this via command line?
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Perryg wrote:Find and edit the VirtualBox.xml file.
This is definitly the file you want to find. It's located in the .Virtualbox folder, at the root of your home folder.
Beware that this folder is hidden by default
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
lmb

Post by lmb »

Yeah, sorry to be a pita.

I don't have a .VirtualBox folder in my home directory.

el-maco in ~ $ ls -al | grep Virtual
drwxr-xr-x     3 lmb  staff     102 Jul 10 12:19 VirtualBox VMs/
I have my VMs stored on an external hard drive. Maybe I screwed something up when I moved them from my home dir.

BUT!!
From what you said and some more googles, I did manage to fix it using VBoxManage.

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/SplitterSizes 236,516  
Thank you!
xevim23

Post by xevim23 »

Hi I have the same problem with the display of the details and snapshots. I have version 4.2.18 r 88780 running on Mac osx 10.6.8
I searched the file VirtualBox.xml but I have not found on any folder, even searching hidden files.

As I can not solve my problem, I have reinstalled several times virtualbox but nothing .
If there anyone who can help me thanks.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/SplitterSizes 236,516  
Your answer was just above your reply. Run the command above in your hosts terminal. Wouldn't hurt to shut everything VirtualBox down first.
mike_c

Re: Details and Snapshots panel missing and solutions

Post by mike_c »

I want to repeat the advice given by PerryG (thanks PerryG!!), which clearly stated that

"VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/SplitterSizes 236,516"

is to be run in the terminal on your host machine, not to be added to the VirtualBox.xml file.

This restored the Details panel on the right, for me. However it did not restore the Toolbar at the top, that includes the "Snapshots" button (next to the "Details" button) that lets you view and select your previously made Snapshots, which was still missing after running the above code in terminal.

Fortunately, I was able to accidentally discover that by right clicking anywhere in the page opened a popup menu that let you select "Show Toolbar".

That solved the missing Toolbar and Snapshots view for me, which had been totally preventing me from using VirtualBox when it had been missing after the update.
mr_mike

Post by mr_mike »

I found a simple way to solve this problem. Move the cursor over the rightmost border of the virtuabox GUI. When the indicator for repositioning the separator appears, drag the separator to make the missing window visible. My separator doesn't show in screen shots, but it looks something like this. <-| |->