Help- USB device "is in use by someone else"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
badnav

Help- USB device "is in use by someone else"

Post by badnav »

I am attempting to connect a radio controlled helicopter to my Windows 7 virtual machine running on VB 4.2.6 on a relatively new iMac (OSX 10.8.2). The helicopter has a USB plug built in, to update firmware. Because it is not a hard drive, when plugged into the iMac it does not mount in my Finder, nor show an icon I can 'eject'. However, I am able to see it listed in the USB settings of VB (which have been enabled, expansion pack and all), and have made a filter for it. After creating the filter and starting up VB before plugging it in, I am able to see the device listed in the drop down menu of attached peripherals at the bottom of the VB screen. However, when I select it, I receive the following error. I've been looking over the boards here, and though I have found reference to the need to have the host computer drop control of the device, I'm not sure how to do it. Again, as it's not a hard drive, I am not able to dismount it from the Finder like a hard drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

"Failed to attach the USB device DJI CONFIF DJI CONTROLLER [0100] to the virtual machine Windows7.

USB device 'DJI CONFIF DJI CONTROLLER' with UUID {be4236ba-d247-48de-bee5-fba4ec55044c} is in use by someone else.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: HostUSBDevice
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}"
badnav

Re: Help- USB device "is in use by someone else"

Post by badnav »

Has anybody else had this problem?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

sway

Post by sway »

I'm sure you've figured this out since February, but this thread is the top link when you search for the issue. Here's what I did:

1) With the VM powered down, go to Settings->Ports->USB and check "Enable USB 2.0 (EHCI) Controller"
2) Turn on the VM and plug in the device
3) Go back to Settings->Ports->USB and create a USB device filter:
  • Click the icon with the green plus symbol
  • Select your device from the list
  • Edit the filter properties such that the Name, Vendor ID, and Product ID are the only fields populated. All other fields should be blank, and Remote should be set to "Any."
4) At this point, you may be good to go. If not, try restarting the VM and plugging in the device once the VM is running.

Hope this helps somebody. I know it would've saved me some time :)
mattmedia

Post by mattmedia »

thanks sway!!

i think you just saved me an entire day of f-ing about. that worked perfectly. i can now unbrick my samsung s3.

legend!
MestreBond

Post by MestreBond »

Estou com o mesmo problema, alguém teve a solução?
MestreBond

Post by MestreBond »

I have the same problem, someone had the solution?
huyheo

Post by huyheo »

sway did it right.

my problem gone after i followed his post
Funkmania

Post by Funkmania »

Posting here in case this helps someone else:

After creating the USB filter in the virtual box settings, it still didn't work for me. I also had to unload the kernel extensions on the mac os x host computer. From terminal app, check what kexts related to your devices are loaded using "kexstat". Unload them using "sudo kextunload -b {kextname}.