Title bar disappears, mouse pointer off-target

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
DrewDeNardo

Title bar disappears, mouse pointer off-target

Post by DrewDeNardo »

I have a Fedora 17 guest on my OS X host (I'm running OS X 10.7.5). I upgraded to 4.2.1 yesterday from 4.1.x. Everything worked fine prior to the upgrade.

Now when I start my VM everything is normal (I see a normal OS X window title bar at the top with the maximize/minimize button and "replicant [running]" (my virtual Linux box is named "replicant"). Once I login to the VM, however, my desktop shell starts up and the host's VM window title bar disappears. The VM window is there but without a title bar. This is only a minor annoyance -- but I also noticed that now my mouse pointer seems to be off-target by exactly the height of my missing title bar.
DasFool

Re: Title bar disappears, mouse pointer off-target

Post by DasFool »

I seem to be having the exact same problem in Ubuntu 12.04. I upgraded from VirtualBox-4.1.22-80657-OSX (which was previously working fine) to VirtualBox-4.2.1-80871-OSX, installed the Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.2.0-80737 (this is the newest listed in the downloads section, but 4.2.0 seems wrong), and Ubuntu guest additions, and now my mouse is off centered in the y direction and the title bar seems to be missing, shifting the entire ubuntu screen upward by the amount of pixels that the title bar would normally take, and leaving a black gap at the bottom of the screen.

This is all running on OSX 10.8.2, macbook pro retina.
keg

Post by keg »

Just had the same thing happen. Running Ubuntu 10.04 in the VM with Mountain Lion as the host. I just downgraded to 4.1.x which fixed it for now.
DasFool

Post by DasFool »

This is still occurring with "VirtualBox-4.2.2-81494-OSX"
brakeb

Post by brakeb »

I just upgraded to 4.2.4 on my Mac OS 10.8.2... same issue, but only on the Windows 8 instance I am running...
DannyO

Post by DannyO »

This sounds like the same problem that I posted about last night (having missed this earlier discussion):

I can't post the link because I'm a new member, but I'll post it as soon as my probationary period is over...

My guess is that that has to do with VMs that were migrated forward from some earlier version of Virtualbox.

By the way, people mention downgrading. I tried this and my VM would no longer load--it died immediately.
DannyO

Post by DannyO »

I noticed in some of my other VMs in 4.2.4 that 3D graphics acceleration is causing issues on my macbook with retina display, so I tried turning it off in the machine settings, and this appears to have solved the disappearing title bar issue. I don't need the graphics acceleration so this is an acceptable workaround for me. I'm curious to know whether it works for anyone else.
DasFool

Post by DasFool »

Toggling off 3D Acceleration does fix the problem. Thanks so much!
jbylsma

Post by jbylsma »

Another workaround that retains 3d acceleration is to disable the status bar. To do so globally, run the following:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/Customizations noStatusBar
johu

Post by johu »

Also if you use full display mode the problem disappears.
Kelsey

Post by Kelsey »

I'm seeing the same thing here, but only after switching out of fullscreen mode.

My host is also a retina macbook pro, running 10.8.4.

I have an Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit Linux guest, which has been newly created on this host and has only ever used this version of Virtualbox 4.2.12

If I resize the Virtualbox window upwards I see the titlebar until I let go of the drag bar at which point the guest resizes and again covers the title bar. I have been running with 3D mode turned on and have yet to try it with it turned off.