VM doesn't start on Mountain Lion

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
qwertme

Re: VM doesn't start on Mountain Lion

Post by qwertme »

Well, my current workaround has been to install Parallels and import my VM. Parallels works perfectly so the issue is definitely VirtualBox
d2kagw

Post by d2kagw »

Add me to the list too.
OS X 10.8.2 on Macbook Pro Retina. Virtualbox 4.2.
mag

Post by mag »

qwertme wrote:Parallels works perfectly so the issue is definitely VirtualBox
Well, it's not that clear yet, It could be that Apple screwed up with Ivy Bridge a little in 10.8.2 making VT-x disabled and Parallels or VMware can run fine without it. If that's the case the situation isn't optimal anyway and Apple should fix it.

If there was just some API change for example (but it's unlikely for several reasons, also because older Macs running the same OS are unaffected) then there's something for VirtualBox devs to fix.

In any case VirtualBox can't run without VT-x at all (at least at OS X 10.8.2 @ Ivy Bridge), if I disable it the whole OS locks up and that should be definitely fixed.

Note to VirtualBox devs that I'm open to any testing if needed, if you've got some ideas and can prepare a debug build for example I (or some others if I don't have a time for it at the particular moment) will happily perform some tests etc.
master2gigi

Post by master2gigi »

Same problem occur on my macbook pro retina, I have just upgraded to 10.8.2.
Karl_Yang

Post by Karl_Yang »

I have the same problem!
mukul

Post by mukul »

mag wrote:Note to VirtualBox devs that I'm open to any testing if needed, if you've got some ideas and can prepare a debug build for example I (or some others if I don't have a time for it at the particular moment) will happily perform some tests etc.
VirtualBox devs: I am also more than willing to help if you need more hands to test.
master2gigi

Post by master2gigi »

mukul wrote:
mag wrote:Note to VirtualBox devs that I'm open to any testing if needed, if you've got some ideas and can prepare a debug build for example I (or some others if I don't have a time for it at the particular moment) will happily perform some tests etc.
VirtualBox devs: I am also more than willing to help if you need more hands to test.
me too~
KENTOSI

Post by KENTOSI »

mukul wrote:
Same - I'm willing to help. I'm a macbook pro retina trying to install windows7.
matenadasdi

Post by matenadasdi »

Its the same issue on my MBP 2012 i7. As i've read everywhere, the problem occurs on Ivy + 10.8.2...
master2gigi

Post by master2gigi »

matenadasdi wrote:Its the same issue on my MBP 2012 i7. As i've read everywhere, the problem occurs on Ivy + 10.8.2...
yes,we are waiting solution from apple or virtualbox
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

Just to state the obvious - if you are eligible for Oracle support, open a support ticket with Oracle. If you are eligible for Apple support, open a support ticket with Apple.
RoadKing89

Post by RoadKing89 »

Add me to the list too. Worked just fine last night using version 10.8.1. Updated to OS X 10.8.2 (12C54) on Macbook Air (mid 2012) this morning, and VirtualBox will no longer boot up the Windows OS. :(
scaseman

Post by scaseman »

And me.... 2012 Retina Macbook Pro i7 16GB RAM

All working fine on the latest VB version until I upgraded to 10.8.2 last night :(
RealJamesDean

Post by RealJamesDean »

This is not what I expect from Production Software from either Apple or the VBox team. I'm just waiting for the finger-pointing to begin and slow down the fix.

I'm frantically exporting VM's right now to run on a machine other than my MBPr...

Now taking bets as to if this becomes the most filed bug on Mountain Lion and/or VBox 4.
felix822

Post by felix822 »

Same problem here - Mac Book Pro with Retina display