Cannot install Guest Addtions: VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
shafique

Cannot install Guest Addtions: VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED

Post by shafique »

Hello,

I have installed virtual box 4.1.14 r77440 on my host, a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4 GB ram, running snow leopard Mac OS X 10.6.8.

I have installed BackTrack Linux 5 R2 32 Bit as a guest OS on Virtual Box. I am now trying to install Guest Additions on the Virtual Box host, but I am getting a strange error:

Unable to mount the CD/DVD image /Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso on the machine BackTrack. Would you like to force mounting of this medium?
Could not mount the media/drive '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).

Here are the setting for the Guest machine:

Base Memory:
2048 MB

Boot Order:
Floppy, CD/DVD-ROM,
Hard Disk
Acceleration:
VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, PAE/NX

Video Memory:
64 MB

Remote Desktop Server:
Disabled

IDE Controller
IDE Primary Master (CD/DVD):
BT5R2-KDE-32.iso (2.61 GB)
IDE Primary Slave (CD/DVD):
VBoxGuestAdditions.iso (48.43 MB)

SATA Controller
SATA Port 0:
BackTrack.vdi (Normal, 25.00 GB)

I keep the BackTrack.vdi and BT5R2-KDE-32.iso files on a USB, and so the virtual machine guest files reside on this USB. I copied VBoxGuestAdditions.iso from:

/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

to a directory on my hard drive, and I added it as a CD to the storage on my Guest machine. I can access it in the Guest OS and I did run the file:

VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

And it seems to have run successfully. But I still don’t seem to have guest additions installed. I also can’t run the runasroot.sh and autorun.sh commands from the konsole. For the former, I get the following error:

…no su(l)-like tool is available.

I have spent ages on Google trying to solve this, to no avail. Can anyone help? Many thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Cannot install Guest Addtions: VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED

Post by mpack »

You don't install the Guest Additions on the host, you install it in the guest. See the user manual s4.2.2 for how to install the guest additions in a Linux guest.
shafique

Re: Cannot install Guest Addtions: VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED

Post by shafique »

Dear mpack,

Many thanks for responding to my post. Sorry, I mis-typed. I am trying to install on the Guest, not the Host. It is with some embarrassment that I must report that I made a stupid mistake, and did not follow fully the instructions at the backtrack website (I can't post the URLs here - the system won't let me until I've been a member for 1 day, which I haven't been yet)

/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox_Install

and

/wiki/index.php/Install_BackTrack_to_Disk

One piece of information missing from these sites is to run the following:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt get install dkms
All is well now. Thanks!