Problem for installing Win98

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ndubau

Problem for installing Win98

Post by ndubau »

Hello,
I'm french user, so excuse my mistakes !
I've just downloaded and installed on mys MacBook Pro VB and created a new virtual machine to install Win98. I fixed the boot to the CD and placed an original Win98 one : after the Innotek spash I get the following message "Fatal : no bootable medium found. System halted"
In the settings I had choose no floppy / CD of the MBP ; the order was CD then HDD.
I tried after creating an iso file and copied it on an external disk. No more success !
Can you help me ?
Thanks
Noël
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

So you checked that "CD/DVD-ROM" is the first entry in Settings->General->Advanced->Boot Order and that it is activated? And in Settings->CD/DVD-ROM you checked "Mount CD/DVD Drive" and you chose "Host CD/DVD Drive"? If so, the machine should boot from the CD inserted in your drive.
Would be odd if that didn't work.
ndubau

Post by ndubau »

I think that I did as you say ; would you be kind to verify on the screen copies you can get on ndubau.free.fr/visiteur/screens_VB.zip with your username on this forum as login and password too.
Thanks a lot !
Noël
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

I checked the screenshots. Everything seems to be configured correctly. The VirtualMachine should try booting from the DVD-ROM-Drive first.
Do you hear the CD spinning in your drive when the machine boots? Is the CD booting on a "real" (not virtualized) PC? Maybe it's broken or something?

As far as I can see the machine has been correctly set up. You could try using "PIIX3" instead of "PIIX4" as IDE-Controller-Type. Just an idea.

Edit: Just to test whether or not it has to do with the CD, you could try inserting another bootable CD just to verify that it can work. A Linux-Live-CD if you have one or similar.
ndubau

Post by ndubau »

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !
If I was'nt old and if I was more more lithe (souple) I should have to give me many hicks in the bottom !
My CD booted on the PC but not in may MacBook where I wanted to test VirtualBox !
Thanks !
Noël
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

If the CD works in your PC, the CD seems to be fine. Since the VirtualMachine is supposed to work, the problem can only be somewhere between CD and Machine.
Can Mac OS mount the CD properly? Do you see its contents?
ndubau

Post by ndubau »

I changed the CD by another copy I had and everything is good now ! I have installed Win98.
But another problem occurs : when installing additions I receive a message saying the platform does'nt allows the installation ??? So I can have a screen in more than 16 colors !
I'm installing on a MacBook Pro Intel.
If you have an idea...
Have a good day !
Noël
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

Windows 98 is not supported by the Guest Additions. If you want to find out which Windows-Versions are supported, have a look at chapter 1.3.2 of the user manual.
ndubau

Post by ndubau »

I'll have that look !
I tried VirtualBox because I encountered problems with Win98 and Parallels Desktop I had bought.
Thanks
Noël