Discussion: MacOS Bootcamp Partition as a VBox Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
cthrax

Re: Discussion: MacOS Bootcamp Partition as a VBox Guest

Post by cthrax »

@phophollety Did you ever find a resolution to this? I'm having the exact same problem, it would be really nice not to have to reboot to get to the windows install.
blueytoo

Post by blueytoo »

I have been running the Bootcamp partition (Win7 64bit) on 10.6.8 64bit in Intel MBP for more than a year with no problems, until I had to do an archive and install after corruption. Then it didn't work and I forgot which recipe I followed to get it to work.

Found this was the original post that I followed that worked for me at least as far as Steps 1 and 2 except my vmdk is running as SATA, not IDE, and works fine.:
http://luckyviplav.blogspot.com.au/2011 ... rtual.html
----
MBP 17" early 2011 2.3GHz; MacOS 10.6.8 Server (64bit); Windows7 (64bit); VB 4.2.18; BootCamp 3.3
ramam

Post by ramam »

Anyone here please provide the screenshots for how to run bootcamp windows 7 using virtualbox
ramam

Post by ramam »

please provide some one screenshots of how to run bootcamp windows 7 using virtualbox
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

ramam wrote:please provide some one screenshots of how to run bootcamp windows 7 using virtualbox
google search youtube virtualbox bootcamp
Nathan Smart

Post by Nathan Smart »

I have done this tutorial (as well as all the other ones that are just like this with various tweaks) and every single time I try to start Windows in VirtualBox it just says "Error loading operating system". I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue (unless people aren't quoting the error message when they write about it). Can anyone help out?

I'm on an iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) with Yosemite 10.10.1 running VirtualBox 4.3.26. I don't know if it matters but I have a Fusion drive and whenever I do all the stuff in Terminal my Bootcamp partition is always disk1s4 and not disk0 like all of the tutorials have. So, anywhere it says "disk0" I always use "disk1" - I'm not a normal user of the Terminal so I don't know if stuff like that matters.

Again, I don't know exactly what information matters in troubleshooting stuff like this so I'm just throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall, hoping that any of it makes sense to someone here. Has anyone else had that error?
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Nathan Smart wrote:I don't know if it matters but I have a Fusion drive and whenever I do all the stuff in Terminal my Bootcamp partition is always disk1s4 and not disk0 like all of the tutorials have. So, anywhere it says "disk0" I always use "disk1" - I'm not a normal user of the Terminal so I don't know if stuff like that matters.
FWIW I imagine the fact you have a Fusion drive is the entire problem. The first thing I don't know is when you boot into a Bootcamp partition if Windows is "hybrid drive" aware or if it just runs on the HDD and bypasses the SSD. If so, there would be no point in referring to it. I can tell you if you use the wrong terminal commands you can render the Fusion drive inoperable.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.