disk space not dynamically growing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mbk2000

Re: disk space not dynamically growing

Post by mbk2000 »

One last step: After using VBManage to create a dynamic disk and clone an existing one, then using GParted to extend the space, I had to do one last step:
# resize2fs -F /dev/vg_cos6lo14/lv_root
Then df -h showed all of the space as now available on the CentOS 6 guest, though on the host, the file size is currently just a little more than have that.
Zarani
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by Zarani »

I think "Gradually" would be safer to use instead of "Dynamically". Even, "Gradually filling up" instead of "Dynamically growing" would be so much safer for the average user to grasp.
"Dynamically growing" does have an infinite feeling to it, as opposed to "Gradually filling up".
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Zarani wrote:"Gradually filling up" instead of "Dynamically growing" would be so much safer for the average user to grasp.
Where do you see "dynamically growing" used in any VBox documentation?

IMHO "Gradually filling up" does not describe the function. If anything at all it describes a truth about all storage media.
Zarani

Post by Zarani »

Indeed, it is "Dynamically allocated" and not "Dynamically growing" - but if you look at both, they mean essentially the same in this case: dynamic (as in, with no limits, infinite) progression.
Even if it is stating the obvious truth (and I hope you want us, your users, to face the truth instead of some abstraction), "Gradually filling up" has the inherent meaning of stopping at a limit (when it fills up) which will make everyone thinking instead of wondering (like with this topic).
:)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Zarani wrote:Indeed, it is "Dynamically allocated" and not "Dynamically growing" - but if you look at both, they mean essentially the same in this case: dynamic (as in, with no limits, infinite) progression.
Allocation does not meaning growing. It means assignment of a finite resource to a specific task. In this case the context is the allocation of host disk space on demand (as opposed to up front). The logical disk size remains constant.

Can you show me a dictionary reference which has that dynamic meaning infinite? I consider my English verbal skills to be quite good, but I'm not aware of that definition of the word.
Zarani

Post by Zarani »

mpack wrote:
Zarani wrote:Indeed, it is "Dynamically allocated" and not "Dynamically growing" - but if you look at both, they mean essentially the same in this case: dynamic (as in, with no limits, infinite) progression.
Allocation does not meaning growing. It means assignment of a finite resource to a specific task. In this case the context is the allocation of host disk space on demand (as opposed to up front). The logical disk size remains constant.

Can you show me a dictionary reference which has that dynamic meaning infinite? I consider my English verbal skills to be quite good, but I'm not aware of that definition of the word.
Sure, here you are:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+does+dynamic+mean
Google Search wrote: adjective
adjective: dynamic

(of a process or system) characterized by constant change, activity, or progress.
Can you please point out any limit in the above explanation?

PS:
mpack wrote: But if anyone has any idea how to make it even more obvious to users that dynamically growing disk images aren't infinitely inflatable, we'd love to hear it.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I gave the appropriate definition of dynamic earlier in this topic. There clearly isn't anything in your quotes to contradict it. A person can be described as dynamic - it doesn't mean he has infinite capacity or lifespan. It means that he acts with purpose and energy when he needs to, not that he has infinite capacity to do so - he isn't a superhero.

I notice that you omitted all but one definition of the term. I suggest that you return to your source and examine definition 1.3. None of the definitions mention infinite capacity.

Incidentally, if you are not actually interested in debating honestly, e.g. if you are going to keep coming back with weak arguments like that last one (you had to know that it didn't support what you said) then I see nothing to be gained from this discussion. If I'm not impressed by the strength of the argument then I doubt the devs will be either.
Zarani

Post by Zarani »

:roll:

Dear mpack,

What "weak arguments" are you trying to imply?

On one hand, and as you had requested earlier, I tried suggesting a better reference to use instead of "dynamic". Sorry if you did not mean it.
On the other hand, I have also answered your question and gave you the global understanding of "dynamic", which carries as the first definition the following: "(of a process or system) characterized by constant change, activity, or progress". To highlight, "constant change, activity, or progress" carries the meaning of change, activity or progress on a constant basis, with no limit whatsoever.
You can, of course, try and enforce your own individual definition of "dynamic" but that would not prevent the many (and as I understand from your reactions, quite many?) of your users to "misunderstand" you and go by the true meaning of "dynamic" - and be mislead.

Just feel free to ignore my suggestion, mate - take it, or leave it.
Cheers.
raynebc

Post by raynebc »

The usage of the word "dynamic" as a type of disk behavior is standardized throughout the tech industry, there's absolutely no good reason to change it to suit your preferences over that of the majority.
x92127

Post by x92127 »

I'm having a similar issue and could use some guidance to fix it:
I've created a VirtualBox machine, Linux, Ubuntu 32-bit, using an Ubuntu 12.04 iso. I've specified 2048 of RAM and 16 gig VHD, fixed.
This is running on a Windows machine.

Once the VM launches, I open a terminal window and download the following two tarball files:
wget developer.nvidia.c0m/embedded/dlc/l4t-Jetson-TK1-Driver-Package-R21-5
wget developer.nvidia.c0m/embedded/dlc/l4t-Jetson-TK1-Sample-Root-Filesystem-R21-5

I can extract the tarball of the first file, but when I try to extract the tar ball of the second file I get the error "no space left on device".

I've performed dh -l before and after each step and notice the /cow folder rapidly approaching 100%. It's size is only 1008M.
Is there any way to disable or clear out the "copy on write" folder? It seems to be the most likely culprit.
Thanks in advance for your help!
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1) Your question has nothing to do with the topic. You don't even have a dynamic VDI!!!
2) Your question has nothing to do with VirtualBox. It's a guest OS question. Treat it as such. Ask at the Ubuntu forums.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
x92127

Post by x92127 »

socratis wrote:1) Your question has nothing to do with the topic. You don't even have a dynamic VDI!!!
2) Your question has nothing to do with VirtualBox. It's a guest OS question. Treat it as such. Ask at the Ubuntu forums.
It never ceases to amaze me how unhelpful some people can be. I'm sorry, but I have to say you are incorrect in your reply to my post.
I was trying to use dynamic disk space originally (without any success), and therefore also experimented with fixed space. When neither of those options solved the problem, I chose to post the inquiry. It might be a stretch of your imagination, but perhaps someone else in the world is also experiencing this same problem, and could benefit from a solution. Forums, by design, are for helping people.

After mucking around with it some more I found out that in VirtualBox (yes, Virtual box, the subject matter of this forum) I was selecting the option to "try" ubuntu when I started up the machine, which results in the usage/creation of COW (Copy on Write). However, by selecting "install" ubuntu instead, I was able to successfully untar each of the files as needed without running into the error I was having. Hope this SOLUTION helps someone who is also having a similar issue with VirtualBox.

I'm now stuck on another issue where the flash does finish, but I'm not sure if that's VirtualBox related (again, relevant to this forum), or if it is related to the TK1 I'm trying to flash (that would be a different forum). But that, my friends, will be a NEW topic in either case.

Again, I home my struggle, and the fix, helps at least one other person in this wonderful world!
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It never ceases to amaze me that people can't tell left from right. I was experimenting with dynamically allocated VDIs, but I won't mention it here, I'll simply post that I have a fixed drive. In a topic that deals with dynamic ones. How's that for proper reporting, huh?

Then, I'll involve a problem that has nothing to do with VirtualBox, but it has everything to do with my guest OS. I hope that posting in the incorrect forums will hopefully find the 1/10^6 soul that has faced a similar situation. Maybe.

Then when those facts are pointed to me and I'm steered in the proper direction, I will moan that people are unhelpful. Just because I posted something in a forum. It could be the King James Bible forum for all I care. They're supposed to help.
There. FTFY.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
x92127

Post by x92127 »

Please, show me a more a appropriate place to post a question for the VirtualBox error "no space left on device" as a result of trying to extract large files (using either dynamic or fixed) and I'll be happy to post it there instead. After searching the threads for this particular error, this thread seemed to be the best place to post the question. Also, I reasoned that others having the same error would do the same search and would come to the same conclusion. If there is a better location, I'm all ears. :idea:
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

It is not an VirtualBox error but an operating system error. This is not a support forum for your operating system.