disk space not dynamically growing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: disk space not dynamically growing

Post by mpack »

kgomara wrote:perhaps others were tripped up by not understanding that the swap space nets out of the Virtual space. If I had understood that up front I would have allocated much more space initially and never had the problem.
The fact that tripped you up is a feature of Linux guests, not of VirtualBox or of guests in general. First of all it assumes that the guest OS uses a swap space on disk at all - and that aint necessarily so. Then, not all guests implement it the same way even when they do use the concept: e.g. Windows creates a dynamically sized swap file in the main partition, not a separate fixed partition, so with a Windows guest you would not have wondered about the disparity between partition size and disk size.

Frankly, there is too much possible variation in guests for it to be practical to warn you about every misunderstanding you might have. You just have to learn as you go (like the rest of us!).
Trooper

Post by Trooper »

Ummm.... it's very easy to make this better for those that read it quickly...

Use a range slider, it has a min knob and a max knob. Will make people stop and think and it'll let you set a starting size for the disk.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

Trooper wrote:Ummm.... it's very easy to make this better for those that read it quickly...

Use a range slider, it has a min knob and a max knob. Will make people stop and think and it'll let you set a starting size for the disk.
what? you mean like this?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 9.23.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 9.23.50 AM.png (72.52 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

@Trooper: you have clearly missed the point of this discussion, which was not about selecting the logical size of a disk.
Kerrya

Post by Kerrya »

Ok, so I'm an idjit for not reading and understanding. I can take that.
Now that I have learned the lesson, how do I fix it? Can I export the VM and then import it into a new one?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Kerrya wrote:Ok, so I'm an idjit for not reading and understanding. I can take that.
Now that I have learned the lesson, how do I fix it? Can I export the VM and then import it into a new one?
Read the second topic in this thread viewtopic.php?f=24&t=50661
Kerrya

Post by Kerrya »

Many thanks. Resizing was the answer I needed.
owlstead

Post by owlstead »

Just an idea, but if 8 GiB (not GB, thank you) is not enough for most Client VM's what about having a bigger default? If this is too much for a headless client VM, make a choice between the two or give a warning if a choice is too much to ask. I saw a comment in the thread about how stupid a user would be to choose too small a size, but IMHO, these kind of things are often resolved by hitting the developer with a clue stick (and yes, I am a developer myself). This kind of thing is why people move to Apple, they seem to have big clue sticks.

Thanks guys, I'm going through all the steps of setting up my development VM again.
Cooolaid

Post by Cooolaid »

I currently have a LinuxMint v17.2 "cinnamon" edition installed in Virtualbox.

The VDI is set to Dynamically increase. - And YES its max is set to 16-GiB.
but its only brickwalling at 8-GiB.

In MY understanding - is that I gave it its MAX which is 16-GiB VDI and that the drive would "Dynamically" increase its size UNTIL , it reaches 16-GiB.
Which has yet to do, because for some stupid reason, its choking when it reaches close to 8-GiB bringing a notice up saying my drive is full....(wtf)

What I dont quite get and seriously confused is. I gave the virtualbox 16-GiB of hardrive space for the VDI.
and I gave it 8-GiB of DDR3 memory and I went as far as making sure by double checking.
The Linuxmint OS Systems Info says it has 16-GiB available to use, and the virtual panel info says it has 16-GiB to play with in total.
But yet, Linuxmint says its run out of room and I only have 350.7mb space left (what gives bro)

For some odd reason, virtualbox seems to think it only has 8-GiB when I "Specifically" gave is 16-GiB.
I now have the Linuxmint OS tellme that it only has 350.7mb left on the (root).

What really upsets me is that I know for a fact I gave it 16-GiB. - for some reason it seems to think it has less,.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

@Cooolaid,

One of two things is possible…
1. You created the guest first then went back and changed the size to 16GB which won't work.
2. You didn't use the default partitioning scheme which puts everything in one partition but instead created a separate partition for /home which is where the rest of your free space is.

btw, 16GB is certainly not a .vdi's maximum size. Setting the guest RAM to 8GB is quite a lot unless your computer has 24-32GB RAM installed.
Cooolaid

Post by Cooolaid »

loukingjr wrote:@Cooolaid,
loukingjr wrote: One of two things is possible…
1. You created the guest first then went back and changed the size to 16GB which won't work.
A: No I did not do this
loukingjr wrote: 2. You didn't use the default partitioning scheme which puts everything in one partition but instead created a separate partition for /home which is where the rest of your free space is.
A: Ok, I might of done this. - I followed a Youtube video that described how to install Linuxmint in virtualbox and I follow it to the letter.
Im testing several distro's such as Linuxmint, ElementryOS, Ubuntu and Manjaro, because I am going to move out of Windows permanently. - Anyways, (thats not the point & I dont want to go off topic.) :)
Currently, I dont know how to use the default partitioning scheme that will put everything in 1 partition. - "Can you please tell me exactly (step by step) how to do that please?.. :)
loukingjr wrote: btw, 16GB is certainly not a .vdi's maximum size. Setting the guest RAM to 8GB is quite a lot unless your computer has 24-32GB RAM installed.
A: I never said that the .vdi's maxiumum size was only 16GB :) -- What I did say was , thats how much I gave it when it asks when I did the dynamic.
Also I gave it 8GB of RAM because I have a lot to spare. I have 32GB of DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro. Soon to be 64GB by the Xmas Holidays.
:)
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The answer, I'm afraid, is obvious: you have an 8GB swap partition which occupies half the drive.

It isn't the first time that this misunderstanding has been exposed in this topic, or even on this page of the discussion. I sometimes think it would be nice if people would actually read a topic before they post into it.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I don't mean to quibble but… :)
Cooolaid wrote:In MY understanding - is that I gave it its MAX which is 16-GiB VDI
Don is correct. You would have a 8GB Swap partition. I wasn't thinking about that. Bad me. :D
Last edited by loukingjr on 15. Sep 2015, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
Cooolaid

Post by Cooolaid »

@loukingjr
Can you give me a step by step on (the default partitioning scheme which puts everything in one partition)
as you mentioned above please. ?
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Actually that is the default for Linux Mint and Ubuntu installers. I forget how it is worded but in the partitioning schemes it's listed as "simplest for beginners" or something like that. It still creates a separate swap partition. I shouldn't post when tired.