Sharing folders,newbie question

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
halo68

Sharing folders,newbie question

Post by halo68 »

Hi,
I am running MAC OS X TIGER host and Unbutu Linux host.
I have added a shared folder that points to my iTunes music folder in the main Virtualbox interface but am not sure what else i need to do to get Unbutu to see my files.
Thanks for any help.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Guest Additions installed? If not, see User Doc.
halo68

Post by halo68 »

i have mounted the iso image but when i click on the 'run' icon the terminal throws up a message saying 'admin privillages required'.
As this is solely a machine used by me i am a little confused. :(
edwardedwards08

Post by edwardedwards08 »

Too nOOB to answer your question, but an aside: try Kubuntu. Thanks to VB, I gave it a shot, and prefer it to Ubuntu. It's the KDE interface and apps I prefer.

http://www.kubuntu.org/
halo68

Post by halo68 »

Thanks Bud,i'll give it a go! :)
halo68

Post by halo68 »

Gave Kubuntu a go.Nicer interface but additions still wont run just getting a script log,haven't got a clue what to do.
Tried 'additions' on an xp guest which does work up to sharing folders which still cannot be seen.. :cry:
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

I never tried to install a Linux in VirtualBox, so I don't know whether my help will be useful, but I'll try nonetheless ;)
The Additions need to be executed as root, therefore it might be successfull to open the terminal, change to the directory where the iso is mounted and do this:

sudo sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run

You will be asked for your password. After entering, there souldn't be problems about permissions any more.
You can borrow the further steps from the chapters following 4.3.1 in the User-Manual. But using Ubuntu/Kubuntu everything might work at once.

It is known that Shared-Folders do not work in Windows using Beta 3. A possible workaround can be found here:
http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=4386