USB drives not attached to guest VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
bblack100

Re: USB drives not attached to guest VM

Post by bblack100 »

I have a Windows 8 host and was attempting to "see" an external hard drive in my Windows XP Virtual Machine. I have a very low level of expertise, but I discovered this while tripping around frantically in places Microsoft probably never intended me to go.

I upgraded to VirtualBox 4.2.12 with guest extensions and the Extension Pack.

I CLOSED VirtualBox.

In the Windows 8 Host, with the external drive plugged in, I opened Windows Explorer. I RIGHT-clicked on the external drive and chose "Properties." I clicked the "Sharing" tab, then chose "Advanced Sharing," checked the box "Share This Folder," and clicked "Apply."

I then started my VirtualBox copy of Windows XP. NOTE: it took much longer to start than normal. I then discovered that the external drive was visible in the virtual machine, but had disappeared in the host.

I love it when things make sense.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

@bblack100: This thread is about attaching a USB drive. Your problem is about a attaching a shared folder, a different subject entirely (regardless of how the host accesses the drive which the folder is located on). I will quickly note that sharing the root folder of a drive is probably a bad idea. Also, your description appears incomplete: a true network share (which is what you described) should only work if the guest and the host are on a common workgroup or domain. Perhaps you are using bridged networking? Windows guests often take a long time to "discover" a share automatically. Usually they get faster once the first discovery is done, or you can provide a manual network path.

I find it surprising that you didn't consider using GA shared folders. See section 4.3 of the user manual.
emcarnahan

Post by emcarnahan »

@JohnAGonzalezFL Thank you that worked brilliantly!
ISA2017

USB drives not attached to guest VM SnowLeopard

Post by ISA2017 »

Hi there,
I have the exact same problem. I want to run SnowLeopard on a virtual machine and be able to see a USB flash drive. I have tried using a windowns host (running Windows 10) and OS hosts (both Mountain Lion and El Capitan) and several versions of VirtualBox. In all hosts I am able to unmount the USB flash drive and VirtualBox sees the flash drive (on the bottom USB device button on the right) but I am not able to actually see/access the pen in Snow Leopard.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ISA2017 wrote:I have tried using a windowns host (running Windows 10)
OSX installs are only supported on Apple hardware. See: Important notice regarding Mac OS X as Guest.

Locking this. It was a 4-year old thread to begin with...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.